Notices

Finally a good PFD

Old 02-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how well the racing PWC jackets work? Those suckers are pretty fast these days (70mph) and getoffs are pretty common. It is highly likely that they expect to contact the PWC during a getoff so they should be protective (the racing vests at least). I would hope that they came up with some reasonable priced vests that provide floatation and protection. Anyone know about it?

I will need to buy something so I am paying close attention to this thread.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to have started such a controversy over PFD's.....I hoped that this would help others find a good jacket for a reasonable price. Did I say Apache?????

Last edited by dyno; 02-19-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:15 PM
BK
Registered

I think it's a great thread.
Anytime people can learn something about safety on the water that they didn't realize before, it's a GREAT thread, IMO
Old 02-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by BK
I think it's a great thread.
Anytime people can learn something about safety on the water that they didn't realize before, it's a GREAT thread, IMO
I agree, I learned that I can't wear a 100mph rated PFD and expect my ribs to be protected in an impact... I guess ya learn something new every day!
Old 02-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looked into the PWC racing vests and found out they are "100mph impact tested for strength but not for personal imjury from impact". This seems like a similar rating to the Stearns vest above. They do look a little better if that matters.

Interestingly, they called it a Type 5 coast guard approved vest, not a type 3. Not sure what that means.
Attached Thumbnails Finally a good PFD-pfd.jpg  
Old 02-19-2004, 02:06 PM
BK
Registered

Here is a website that describes all five styles of PFD

http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/MP/pfd.htm

TYPE V: Special-Use Devices

These windsurfing vests, deck suits, hybrid PFDs and others are designed for specific activities, such as kayaking or water skiing. Some Type V PFDs are designed to inflate when you enter the water. Inflatable Type V PFDs must be worn when underway to be acceptable.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:20 PM
BK
Registered

Originally posted by BK
"Each PFD must be in good condition, the proper size for the intended wearer, and very importantly, must be readily accessible! Readily accessible means [B]you must be able to put the PFD on in a reasonable amount of time in an emergency[B] (boat sinking, on fire, etc.). PFDs should not be stowed in plastic bags, in locked or closed compartments or have other gear stowed on top of them. "

one more thing.....

If I remember right, the phrase above is why Lifeline jackets don't meet the CG requirements. Because they take too long to put on. They don't meet specs.

But people who buy Lifeline jackets most likely will be wearing them when they need them. So the point is moot.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:43 PM
Registered

Here's the link:

http://www.rocknrescue.com/acatalog/...tearns_75.html

Dave
Old 02-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The type 5 is not required to turn you upright if you are unconcious. Many will however. You are not allowed to operate a PWC in Maryland if you are not wearing a 100 mph vest. I suspect many other states are the same.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I was told one time that LL did not want to pay $75k to get the jackets certified.

Quick Reply: Finally a good PFD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.