Notices

Finally a good PFD

Old 02-20-2004, 12:41 AM
BK
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LL jackets can't be certified without big changes, offering less protection for a race jacket. And that's why LL won't do it.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:39 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine last night real nice! but run a little small mine fits but the wife needs a little larger...
Old 02-24-2004, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Dyno, keep us posted on how well you like the vest, how comfortable, etc.. Was Just getting ready to order some lifeline's.
Thanks
Old 02-24-2004, 09:24 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by dyno
Got mine last night real nice! but run a little small mine fits but the wife needs a little larger...
Cool, now go break a hole in the ice to test it out and let us know if it turns you upright or not...
Old 02-24-2004, 09:35 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

comfort ......well.....its like any other vest.. a bit bulky but nice. I'll see how they work at keeping you face up if I get a chance at the local pool.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Found a lower cost high end "power run" life jacket. Come in many colors for $275.

http://www.securityrace.com/offshore1.htm
Attached Thumbnails Finally a good PFD-offshore1.jpg  
Old 02-27-2004, 08:30 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

You get what you pay for. Period.
Want first hand data on why Life Line are not CG certified, call them, Bob will tell you the deal.
For us, we wear ours all the time, and feel safe, no worries.
If you ski, wear a ski jacket, if your a powerboater, wear a power boat jacket.
Like I always say, they won't have to look long to find us, dead or alive.
Bryan

Lastly, been stopped a bunch of times, certification was never an issue, how often does the fuzz actually stop jacket wearing boaters?
Attached Thumbnails Finally a good PFD-tuvellvest0001.jpg  

Last edited by Bryan Tuvell; 02-27-2004 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:43 AM
BK
Registered

Years ago, I once nosedived at nearly 70mph in a smaller sized boat. My boat stopped on impact, and my body hit the dashboard so hard that it severed my tricep muscle completely into two pieces.

I then did end-over-end cartwheels over the bow of the boat and landed about 50 feet away.

My chest hit hard too, but all of my ribs were protected - because I was wearing a racing jacket with impact protection; My Lifeline (OPC racing version, not poker run version).

When they named it "Lifeline", they sure knew what they were talking about.

I would have definitely had broken ribs in this crash if it wasn't for that extra impact material. I've had broken ribs before, and they sure aren't fun. After that crash, I was happy I had paid the extra $250. Best value ever.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

OK, here's one of the issues that I am struggling with. Let's say I buy my wife and I Lifelines, and then provide regular USCG approved ski vests to the other people in the boat or nothing at all. I have a boat capable of 100 but I usually only run 70-85 in reality. It has a 6 pack cockpit.

If someone were to get hurt wearing a ski vest or nothing at all while I am wearing a Lifeline that I obviously deemed neccessary, I think I would be liable. That means I really need to buy 6 lifelines so that everyone in the boat has one on. Now that is VERY expensive indeed.

I should not let "liability concerns" dictate my private safety but this is an issue to consider.

Just my $0.02, would like to hear yours.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:34 PM
BK
Registered

That's a good point. I think I'd give the Lifelines to the guests I invited on board. But only because I'd put their safety ahead of mine.

But here's what I think; if someone were to be injured in a single boat crash, while riding in your boat/car/snowmobile, with you at the wheel, those folks could find a way to hold you liable regardless of what kind of vest you offered them.

If I'm going to take friends out in my car, I'm going to make them all wear seatbelts - even if I know I won't be driving wreckless. So if I was taking friends out for a high speed run in my boat (which I dont do), I'd make sure they had the best protection. If someone I care for gets hurt, I would not be able to endure the guilt. Hindsight is 20/20.

Quick Reply: Finally a good PFD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.