Notices

50 MPH Bimini Specs

Old 02-21-2004, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 50 MPH Bimini Specs

Before this boating season starts, we wanted to get a custom bimini made. It is my understanding that Sunbrella has 2 grades of fabric but I do not know the names or differences. Also, what have people used for the framing. I would think steel would work better cruising at 45-50 mph than aluminum, but I am not sure if there are different grades, pros and cons with them, etc. We want something that is done right the first time and need some help.

If someone has done their own custom bimini, could you please let me know the specs you gave to the vendor making it? Thanks.

Randy
Old 02-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Registered

I have torn the stiching out of mine so many times at 50 mph or so that dont leave it up anymore. never had a problem with the material, just the thread used in the stiching.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Registered

I had a bimini that worked up to 70 mph with no problem. It was stainless steel and had a low profile acron bracket that was how it connected to the boat. PM me and I will look up the manufacturer and let you know.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Registered

Cool

I had my bimini custom made by a local shop. I used aluminum...but anything over 50MPH...I'd consider a stainless frame. My aluminum holds up at 50MPH...but it's gets sketchy with a gust of wind.

Also, it's real important to have it adjusted right (with the attitude of your boat at speed) to put less stress on the frame.

Also, the fast guys are using a mesh fabric. It does block alot of the sun, but not all. Since it lets some air through at speed, it's easier on the frame.

Like OSO said, the solid mounts (vs. straps) will give you much needed stability at higher speeds.

There's some guys out there with 100MPH biminis...
Old 02-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Registered

Cool

I've had custom bimini's on my boats since 1978 (about 20 in all) and I know with the correct shape, angle, SS frame and adjustment, they're good to about 90 MPH. The new Textaline mesh is great, but noisy at speed. My current boat has a combination of solid and mesh done in the same colors in my gel. The hardware is great for quick disconnects...
Old 02-21-2004, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cuda, you could be having a field day with this thread.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Registered

I've had Biminis on my Top Gun and Black Thunder. All stainless tubing. Instead or sunbrella, I used Stamoid. It is a vinyl coated nylon material that is waterproof, as opposed to water resistant. Same stuff they use for the enclosures on sportfish boats. Really nice in a heavy downpour. It's also lighter than sunbrella. Use goretex thread so it doesn't leak at stiching.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:15 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Horseplay3,

Sissyboy
Old 02-22-2004, 12:18 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya Cuda were are ya at
Old 02-22-2004, 06:21 AM
Banned

See what happens when I'm away for one day?? It's all gone to hell in a handbasket.

Quick Reply: 50 MPH Bimini Specs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.