Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   CC's in Hot Boat- Carrera and Concept (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/72288-ccs-hot-boat-carrera-concept.html)

jafo 02-21-2004 10:03 AM

CC's in Hot Boat- Carrera and Concept

Very favorable reviews for both South Florida mfg's in this month Hot Boat Magazine.
Did anyone have an opportunity to check out Carrera at the Miami show? I somehow missed them:(
Their 36' with triple 250's is listed at $107K as tested in the article- could that be right? Seems like a lot of boat for the money..........:) :cool:
Jim

Mr. Demeanor 02-21-2004 10:05 PM

My bad, I read Catera and your taking about Carrera. Deleted post.

Mr. Demeanor 02-21-2004 10:07 PM

Well this is somthing that should be changed. I made a mistake and cant fix it because I cannot edit or delete. OSO, if you read this please delete my response.

jafo 02-21-2004 11:54 PM

I have seen Catera before as well and agree with you on its quality.
I know that the Carrera had quite a few wins in offshore racing (late 70's, 80's?) and they are a strong rough-water performer. It certainly impressed the folks from Hot Boat Mag, and they are usually a tough crowd with the East Coast boats.
I thought I had covered all the bases at the show- I somehow missed their booth. Just wondered if anyone had seen them there and has an opinion or two.;) :)
Jim

Mr. Demeanor 02-22-2004 12:11 AM

Jafo, sounds like your thinking about a cc as am I when the Liberator is sold. Im going to look for a clean Scarab 302. Seems like a good boat and the used prices are reasonable. We do enjoy overnighting on the boat though so...who knows. Full canvass on a cc ?

Jassman 02-22-2004 07:59 AM

I thought the same thing Jafo, alot of boat for the money, probably a typo, great reviews though. The Concept and Spectre were also great reviews, Im looking at these as well. ;)

jafo 02-22-2004 08:27 AM

Some of these smaller custom mfg's are still able to pass along some good deals on their boats because of lower operating costs. That, and the fact that the 250EFI engines are considerably less costly than their Optimax counterparts may make that Carrera an exceptional buy. It also has the added beam- 8' beam boats aren't going to cut it for me.

Of all the boats I DID see, and if I were to step up to the plate right now, I would buy a Manta from Tom Greco. These boats won world championships in the 80's and 90's, and I have to say that his one and only boat at the show was as near to perfect as it gets. Head to head with the PowerPlays, the Manta won in hull straightness and sharpness.:eek: An older salesman helping out with another mfg. (not mentioning names) recommended I go look at them and talk to Tom, and he was very cordial. His boats reflect his passion. Literally.
These are boats you won't break, period. Not cheap to build, and it would take 5 months, they are purely custom. He will do whatever the customer wants.:)
Jim

Ryan Beckley 02-22-2004 09:56 AM

Did you see the 34' Yellowfin cuddy at Miami?

Mr. Demeanor 02-22-2004 11:53 AM

I saw a Manta in Key Largo and it was exceptional. It was the Florida Wildlife Commision patrol boat. I talked to the Oficer and he stated it was the best boat they had used so for. Had nothing but praise for its rough water handling and construction. I have looked for a website and info on them w/o any luck.

jafo 02-22-2004 01:34 PM

Ryan- I did see the Yellowfin 34- it was unfinished, so it was difficult to tell what the finished product would look like. It's a little larger than what we are looking for. We still want trailerability, and I'm still not sure I like the lines of the boat that well.

Chris- Manta does not have a website. Tom did spend a lot of time showing us photo albums of his championship race boats, as well as many pics of all the law enforcement boats he has built. They seem to be one of the first choices of those that have to work their jobs on the water. He builds them one at a time, and it shows.
You can probably get him to send you some more info-
Thomas L. Greco Jr.
Manta Racing, Inc.
2405 S.W. 57th Ave.
Hollywood, Fl. 33023
954-963-5887