Diesel powered sport boats? >

Diesel powered sport boats?

Notices

Diesel powered sport boats?

Old 02-24-2004, 08:51 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The MTI Yanmar 440's/Arneson boat was at the Miami show and looked very, very nice. 2,000 hour warranty with 10,000 hours between rebuilds. Because of outdrive limitations, 300/315 hp is about the limit right now. Volvo has just intruduced a new sterndrive that may handle diesels up to 400 hp.

One of the nicest packages I've ridden in was a 50' Nor-Tech with 3 440 Yanmarsand #6's. It ran over 70, but cruised effortlessy at 60+. That's the real strength of diesels - their cruise speed is much closer to their top speed than is the case with gas engines.

This is going to be a very active area in the next few years.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by super termoli
They do so simply because if you're not out to break speed records, if cruising at 70 mph is what you're after, if you want to log 500 trouble-free hours per season on your boat and if tinkering and adjusting carburetors and blowers is not your thing, then they're the way to go...
This is what I'd be interested in, but on a smaller scale. I'd like to run at 50mph all day long at reasonable fuel economy. I use my boats every weekend from May to October (I'm up North) all day long.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of all of the 43 and 50' V bottoms we've produced, about 25% have gone the Yanmar route. Bravos for the 315s and 6's or ASD for the 440's. 55 MPH cruise speed, half the fuel burn. You just have to give up the top end.

TS
Old 02-24-2004, 01:22 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

oso member taboo has a diesel powered cat he is working on.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Super T,
Good to see you back in the saddle again, your posts are always of interest.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:11 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Team Scarab using the Cummins-Merc combo, more info here.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=62888

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 02-24-2004, 08:46 PM
Registered

merc makes a 7 drivejest for diesels . i bet you were looking at the 7 drive, it looks like a 6, but bigger it swings a 22 in dim prop. fountain used them for a time in the late 90s , the yanmars with asd 9 or 10 in a 42 will run 82 mph all day long . loaded to the gilles
Old 02-25-2004, 02:31 AM
Registered

thanks, SS930. and yeah, i forgot the scarab with the cummins diesels and trimax drives. they are out to break some records and have already done so...

But C-Spray has a very important point. I honestly believe that an 80-85 mph diesel boat is as good as a gas-powered boat capable of over 100 mph in anything but flat water. Diesels have more torque so every time you hit a wave and are effectively slowed down by that impact, a diesel boat will get back to its initial speed faster than a gas boat. Secondly, diesels have mechanical governors which keep the RPMs constant whatever the prop load is. In other words, whether the prop is in or out of the water doesn't matter, the engine will keep the RPMs fairly constant. Since there is no risk of overreving, you do not need to throttle the boat apart for your own comfort ie. if you do not want to hit a big wave at WOT. These two observations make for a smaller loss in diesel boat's momentum every time you hit a wave. This is why the operation is smoother and the effective cruising speed is so close to the top end. You do have to give up your top end though because of the sheer weight of mechanics and limited peak power.
Buzzi's boats were never the fastest boats out there. They were running 130-135 at best when cats were already well over 150 but he managed to beat them because of the above.

Chuck, if you're looking to cruise at 50, you do not need a diesel boat capable of much more than 60 mph. Something like a 35 to 38 ft. boat with a pair of 315 Yanmars will give you that speed and will really be super reliable and economical to run. And with Bravo XRs, you would not have any drive problems. They will also take the 370hp version but with 315s, you would be very safe... and my guess is you would be burning a total of 15 gallons per hour @ cruise.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that Hustler made a 50' with 4 diesel engines with straight drives, it runs around 90 mph. Also know that Joe at Hustler Powerboats has either a 444 or 388 hustler with triple diesels and says that it goes around 85. He says people stick big gas power in their boats and blast around at 110 mph+ and he will cruise all day at 85 or so and that it is just a matter of time until he catches up with you. Call hustler, i know they have done a few diesel applications with straight drives and the outcome has been positive

justin
Old 02-25-2004, 05:54 AM
Registered

That hustler 50' is called "Esprit de Soleil" and it was built very heavily and absolutely loaded with equipment so that there are no options available on that boat! It's approx. 23 000 pounds dry and over 10' wide and it does about 80 mph. It will accelerate from standstill to 60 in under 10 seconds. It has ZF 2 forward speed trannies which are shifted into high gear at approx. 35 mph and the acceleration is tremendous. You really have to hold on as you have 3200 lb-ft of torque pushing you. The prototype of that boat was obviously lighter and it actually hit 86 mph.

As for Joe, the owner of Hustler, he has a 388 Slingshot called "Diesel Demon". He keeps it in Florida and often does long cruises from Naples to the Keys and that's exactly what he says. Guys blast past him at 100+ but then have to back off a little. He is just cruising at 75 and starts catching up and the guys hit it again until the pressures and temperatures start rising again and he catches up again and so on. And this usually goes on until the other guy either breaks something or runs out of fuel. His 388 has twin 440 Yanmars on Arnesons and it does 83-84 mph. Pretty close to speeds you would expect with twin HP500s. He also had a 40' with triple 350 Yanmars on Bravos which was a great boat but was eating drives like they were going out of fashion. Then Hustler made a 40' with twin 440s and SDS drives for Joe's friend and the boat is great: stand-up, fully-loaded cabin, generator, entertainement system... and it does about 70 mph. To cut the long story short, they really are into experiementing with diesels. And others are getting into it too. I hear even Outerlimits is doing something with twin Yanmars on their 38.

Justin, do you own that 21 with a flame paintjob and a whipple-charged 6.2 small block?

Quick Reply: Diesel powered sport boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.