Notices

Smith MTN. Lake VA.

Old 02-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smith MTN. Lake VA.

Since moving to North Carolina, we have been looking for a lake similar to Lake Cumberland in Kentucky. We are not having much luck. Lake Jordan, near Cary where we live, is much too small and has no amenities. Lake Kerr is the right size but has no good marinas with covered slips. Lake Gaston and Norman are very crowded and allow homes to be built on the shoreline. I do not have a problem with that, it simply does not allow for the type of boating we like to do. The ocean is also not an option. The wife does not like the salt water and hurricanes, well you get the picture.

We are no longer performance boaters. We are looking at a couple of cruisers/ A Formula 40PC (working with magicfloat), a 380 Sea-ray and a 43 Fairline.

O.K. back to the topic. Anyone have any comments on Smith Mtn. Lake in Virginia ? Any info would be helpful. If nothing pans out, we will be driving 8+ hours back and forth to Lake Cumberland.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With that kind of boat, The Chesapeake Bay is a good place to live.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:11 AM
Registered

h20; You may want to take another look at Kerr Lake. Kerr lake does have covered slips at two marines. If I can help you let me know.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Registered

Default Lake Norman?

What kind of boating do you like to do???
Old 02-29-2004, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H2O

You live in Cary, I used to live off Harrison Ave, Anyway SML is great for cruisers, their are raft ups during most of the summer usually about 12-25 big cruisers. On SML their are about 6 nice places to eat and all have late night activites. I know the owners of Shoreline marina and Magnum Marina, I can check on prices for slips if you like. Actually today the owner of Magnum Marina and I are going out on his new 33 Outlaw, (justr came in Fri). I will pm you my # if you want to call and talk.

WILL
Old 02-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Registered

Originally posted by High Priority
h20; You may want to take another look at Kerr Lake. Kerr lake does have covered slips at two marines. If I can help you let me know.
Thanks for the note. What are the names of the marinas? Kerr would definitly work out great for us if we can find a 14'-15' wide 40'+ long slip.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:51 AM
Registered

Default Re: Lake Norman?

Originally posted by Steet
What kind of boating do you like to do???
We like to raft up in a nice quiet cove, swim, float around, play on the SeaDoo etc. We typically spend all night on the boat. We also take week long vacations on the boat, staying on the boat the majority of the time. You need a fairly large lake with lots of secluded coves for this type of boating or its gets boring real fast.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Registered

Originally posted by scottc
With that kind of boat, The Chesapeake Bay is a good place to live.
I hear that With the outer banks, Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds, and a days cruise to Charleston or Myrtle beach, The North Carolina Coast offers some great boating.

But, We've got the kids who like to swim a lot and the wife is worried about sharks and hurricanes, and the wear and tear of salt water, so we are going to stick with fresh water for now.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

27Fountain can give you the straight scoop on everything. He lives threre. I visit average 2x a year, and have GREAT time every time.