Notices

Decking Materials

Old 02-25-2004, 08:34 AM
DBELL6

Question Decking Materials

Has anyone ever used Trex? We are building a deck on the lake house and this stuff is 3x's the price of wood. What price have you paid? Please Help

Old 02-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to get it a little cheaper than that but not much. Trex and some of the other brands are the way to go IMHO. If you have kids or like to walk around bare foot you will love it, it won't splinter. If your not planning on keeping the place than just do it in wood, because you won't get your $ back out of it. They have a lot of colors to chose from also and all you ever have to do is clean it. I'm saving now to be able to redo my dock in Trex because I spen too much time pulling splinters out of my kids feet and my dock is in good shape. Where do you live? A good friend of mine owns a deck comp. maybe I can hook you up.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:52 AM
Registered

Just make sure if you us Trex and do it yourself you space it right. It ain't like wood it need's more room to swell up and stuff. I have seen some HH's do it and it push it self right off the house.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:56 AM
DBELL6

Thanks for your reply. I live in Oklahoma. The house was just completed this year. I think regular wood would kill the value of the property. Plus you have knots and splinters and ect.

Thanks

Old 02-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Registered

Well to far to help you. I dont think you get any more value for wood or Trex just if you have a deck or not. What you get out of it is comfort and less work.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Registered

Trex is the first generation decking material. The problem with it is that it has wood fiber in it which means it will accept moisture. Therefore it can mildew, move quite a bit and also stain to the point that it can not be removed. If you are in a warm climate, Trex will accutally get too hot to walk as well as it will deflect between joist with the heat. This causes most applications to go to 12" on center spacing which adds to the overall cost of the deck. One of the second generation decking materials is GEO Deck. www.geodeck.com It does not have any wood in it at all so it won't stain, mildew, etc. Also, it is hollow so it won't get so hot and can easily span the 16" on center spacing for the deck joist. It is also a little more appealing to the eye and has a matching rail system. Either way, make sure you check out some of the new stuff out there. I don't think you would be happy with Trex if you saw some other options. Good Luck. Oh yeah, GEO has a 20 year warrentee and Trex is only 10.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:06 AM
Registered

I wouldn't use Trex for many of the reasons that Fountain CS has stated and more. I've personally seen it come apart after just a few years of use. Sure it's warrantied but who do you think is going to pay for the labor to replace it? I would go with Epoch or Iron-wood. Ironwood being my #1 choice.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:26 AM
DBELL6

Thanks for the info. I can't find Iron Woods website

Old 02-25-2004, 11:05 AM
Faster!

Default New Pressure treated pine

OK while we are on the subject, what's the deal on the new type of pressure treated pine? I got an estimate to re-deck my dock and the dock company says the chemical they use to treat this new stuff reacts with metal (nails & screws) and they don't know what the long term affects are. Anyone have any details on this?

Of course they reccomended using some brazilian hardwoord called IPE. That stuff is like $3 a sq foot more but guarneteed for 25 years. Makes for a pricey dock!

Old 02-25-2004, 11:16 AM
Registered

Originally posted by DBELL6
Thanks for the info. I can't find Iron Woods website
Here you go Iron Wood

Do not let them face nail it when installed.

Personally we used a plastic product called Trimax. It's made of recycled plastic and fiberglass. It's a light tan color. It was also a huge mistake, it get too hot in the sun to walk on bare foot. If I had to do it again I would use Ironwood. I would not use pine anything. I'm currently thinking about ripping off about 1200 sq ft of deck and replacing it with IronWood. I'll use the old deck material to re-deck the docks that are treated pine.

Last edited by mr_velocity; 02-25-2004 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Decking Materials

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.