Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Has anyone been down to Sonic factory lately ? >

Has anyone been down to Sonic factory lately ?

Notices

Has anyone been down to Sonic factory lately ?

Old 02-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by glassdave
MadCow has his boat down there being worked on. it is a 42 with triples and green and purple stripes. . . . hope everything is OK. would not want to see him go . . well . . .MadCow on 'em
That Boat is there, seen it outside yesterday AM,

Noticed it because that is my favorite Color Combo.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Alright, lets keep this from being a bash session.

If no one was there in the office that could have taken him into the factory/shop area, then that is somewhat legit; albeit a bit crappy service. There is no way I would let our receptionist trapse someone through our facility even if their $500K telecommunications firewall was in for service; or even if they had a $7M deal on the table.

The Sonic front office was slim when I was there. There were plenty of workers in the factory, and I could hear the vacuum running on the vacuum bagging system. The only people in the front were the receptionist, and accounting folks.

Sonic is safe and sound. Per Richard Hewitt, and several conversations I had with him this month, Sonic is healthy, and the Hollywood Factory is also healthy. They are building 100mph boats out of the box now. They are doing fine.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:20 PM
Byron

And I have some ocean property in _______ to sell you. He will tell you whatever you want to here. The Sea-Tek boat was being built for me. I bailed when you now who got involved and started jacking me around. I have owned two other new boats when Jay was there with zero issues. What happened to the Maryland dealer? I could go on and on but there is no reason to bash. Trust me your old Sonics are awsome boats and if there is ever a new (truthfull) owner I may build another.

Old 02-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not bashing but that is totally unacceptable.

If I lived across the street and could come back in an hour or the next day I might understand.

If it were a long enough trip to buy a plane ticket, then heck she should have found someone that could show him his boat even if it meant calling some that was off that day. that is horrible customer service. They should have met him any time he wanted and shown him his boat.

Healthy or not, this is very poor customer service. I guess it shows you the difference between industries that have competition and those that don't.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I don't know exactly what transpired with Offshore Performance, but I do know they have somewhat changed their target market, now selling Donzi, Cigarette, and Pro-Line.

There is still a Maryland Sonic dealer, All-Pro Marine, now back with Frank Marchone, with a some 20 year history with Sonic.

I think both Dealers are still great organizations, from my dealing with folks at both. ( I know I seem pretty friendly here, but there are plenty of bad stories I can tell you about too, DC area especially. )

Byron, sorry to hear of your troubles. I have seen your boats, and they are fantastic. I have also seen First Derivitive, and its an amazing boat. I think its tough to find a boat builder that hasn't had a cross business transation with someone. It seems to be the nature of the business. A search here on OSO will bring up every single builder and owners name. I hope whatever transpired with You, Richard, and Sonic, is something you find, NOT to be the norm.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 02-26-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend that was having Jay build him a new 45, it would have been his 3rd Sonic in 6 years, 2nd 45. When Sonic came under new ownership they would not honor the agreement my friend had with Jay and demanded more money. My friend told them to F&$*off and went out and bought a 51 Outerlimits. Jay made Sonic what it was.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was down a month ago, and they could not have been more accommodating. I don't know about your friend, but they where GREAT to me.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I took a close look at the 45' Sonic at the Miami show and it was horrible!!! I only looked at the outside while walking by. The gelcoat was shiny in some areas and dull in others. It looked like it was in the Florida sun for 2 years. The sides were as wavy as the ocean. That was one of the worst of any boat I have seen.

I am not bashing, just stating what I observed. I actually like the Sonics. They have an enormous amount of room in them.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well thanks for all the input ! I'm not bashing either . But if I drove to see my boat and the final answer was NO ....... Hi-perf is right !! That rental car insurance would have been money well spent !! Or I would get on what ever machine they use to move boats and remove my boat from their place ! Right through the door if needed !! (It wouldn't be the first time I did it somewhere ....) I realize for insurance reasons customers don't go in the shop . But they could work something out . I do .

Rick ,thanks for the offer . And thanks for checking .
And thanks everyone else for the info. Joe
Old 02-26-2004, 08:02 PM
mwasmuth

First let me say I like Sonic as someone earlier said the have a lot of room and they seemed to be a well built boat. But unlike the boat, the new owner Richard, I wouldn't P"%% on if he was on fire. I worked with him and a boat owner building a new boat.

After we put this project together he decided, lets cut out the middle man, I am sure he said as he was balancing out his check book(not like i was going to make any money on this deal). After all "I write the checks here" < Richards fav quote.

I should have known not to trust Richard in any dealings, after I spent time with him in Canada during a poker run (this was before he and his attorney fired Jay ) all he and his side kick did was talk bad about Jay. I should have known I not to trust him, They were knocking Jay down pretty hard 3000 miles from home. But acted completely different at home in the factory towards Jay.

Oh well good luck on your boat I hope Sonic don't turn into another Hennessey deal but its not looking good.

I am sure there are you out there that love Richard and all I can say is give it time. He will do all the work for me to prove me right. Try getting between Richard and a dollar bill and you will see what I am talking about.

Quick Reply: Has anyone been down to Sonic factory lately ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.