Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The future of outdrives... >

The future of outdrives...

Notices

The future of outdrives...

Old 02-27-2004, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much does a bravo to arneson conversion cost per drive, soup to nuts?
Old 02-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know you guys are talking mostly high end outdrives but have you seen these guys ?

http://www.sterndrive.cc/

Its a start .........
Old 02-28-2004, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by impulsive
There was a thread about this a short time ago. About $12,000 I think.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, I think the conversion is $12K-$15K when all is said and done.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:32 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by impulsive
- $16 k for the hardware (per drive)
- I imagine $2k for time
- And about $20k in depreciation and missed resale opportunities on your boat due to the fact you don't have bravo's, xr's or 6's!
Old 02-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Registered

Another thing to consider with the Arneson is the safety issue. We spend time in the water swimming around the boat, jumping off the swim plateform ect...

With the Arnesons you have the props well beyond the swim plateform just waiting for someone to fall on.

I had a passenger slice her ankle open on a cleaver once, I could not imagine having someone fall on one.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Registered

Yes, I think thats a big factor, RESALE I would love tput an Arneson behind my boat (25' Checkmate) but between the motor and drive I would have $30,000 in to it. The only way to go is save all the stock stuff and put it back on to sell, I have talked to Arneson about their bravo-converstion mostly bolt on but I am worried about the "X" dimention, alot of trial and even more error. My O2
Old 02-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Registered

Let's keep the frigin' government as far away from the Marine industry as we can. When they get involved prices go up, quality goes down, and production goes overseas.
They are not the solution; free enterprise and inovation of small business is. Someone will come up with a solution if the demand is really there.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Registered

impulsive, please give us the name of the reputable engine builder who will build us a 500 hp marine motor, using all new parts, and will warranty it for 90 days. In my neighborhood I can't even buy the headers for that...
Old 02-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Registered

hotlavey, i think that's exactly what von bongo was suggesting: the intervention of government should be limited to preventing monopoly or oligopoly situations and ensure free enterprize and innovation. Even the hard-core liberals admit that governments should be there to provide legal framework and ensure the good functioning of free markets. In any case, Brunswick was already condemned in anti-trust suits because it was effectively subsidizing its own boat brands by giving them Mercury engines for virtually nothing, thereby providing them with an unfair competitive advantage and driving their competitors out of business. This in turn decreases competition, may enable a dominant firm to fix prices above free market levels, all while encouraging that firm to keep status quo and discourage innovation and progress. So no matter how liberal you may be, it's fairly universally accepted that govt. intervention is needed in those cases and this is the only way we'll get free enterprize and innovation back in the marine sector. Otherwise, you're right: Japanese will invade and jobs will go overseas... It's already happening with outboards and the only reason it's not happening with inboards is the fact that others are not interested in gas engines due to high gas prices anywhere but in the US. My $0.02

Quick Reply: The future of outdrives...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.