Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
are pleasure boats running too fast? >

are pleasure boats running too fast?

Notices

are pleasure boats running too fast?

Old 03-02-2004, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're adults and have responsibilities. If we behave like kids, our toys will be taken away. Simple as that.

Secondly, you have a responsibility to your family and to the society as a whole. Yes, you were in that powerboat of your own freewill and put in physical danger only yourself but what about other forms of danger. Isn't your family in danger? How about your kid growing up without a father? Isn't that a danger?

Also, next time when I won't be able to insure my boat, get life-insurance because I own an offshore boat or will have to pay sky-high rates for it, I could be forgiven for thinking that risk-taking in an offshore boat, alone and of one's freewill is not such an isolated event which concerns only the individual taking those risks...
Old 03-02-2004, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thanks KHO

Didn't mean to come across mean spirted...

Touchy subject.

I amended my post as well

Maximus
Old 03-02-2004, 07:34 AM
WickedWon

Originally posted by super termoli
We're adults and have responsibilities. If we behave like kids, our toys will be taken away. Simple as that.

Secondly, you have a responsibility to your family and to the society as a whole. Yes, you were in that powerboat of your own freewill and put in physical danger only yourself but what about other forms of danger. Isn't your family in danger? How about your kid growing up without a father? Isn't that a danger?

Also, next time when I won't be able to insure my boat, get life-insurance because I own an offshore boat or will have to pay sky-high rates for it, I could be forgiven for thinking that risk-taking in an offshore boat, alone and of one's freewill is not such an isolated event which concerns only the individual taking those risks...
I protect my wife and my family in every aspect of our lives by using good judgement and common sense, not by any law or government regulation. Do you make every day life and death decisions based on what the government says........pity

BTW In 1966 I was thirteen and my 50mph boat was considered a threat to life and limb....God I loved that sucker............

Old 03-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Predicated on the recent events I was hesitant to respond here as I think the timing is in very poor taste but I just have to...

To put things in perspective as far as speed.

1.) The insurance companies will regulate it out, count on it. Hopefully they won't destroy the hi-po boating pleasure market like they did with US made automobiles. Do you think the big three decided on a whim to stop producing the super cars of the 60's and 70's? Thankfully we still have the European manufacturers.

2.) The hi-performance sector is miniscule in relation to the general boating populace hence when a accident occurs it generates big headlines. With improved technology comes speed and risk. Life is a risk...don't be too concerned, you won't get out alive. With the costs associated with the sport most people who run these things aren't stupid or they wouldn't have the resources to get involved. Unfortunately sometimes bad things happen to good people.

3.) Anyone that thinks government regulation, licensing or control will do anything in relation to improved safety in my opinion needs to reconsider the facts. What little freedom that is left in this country needs to be protected. You open that door and you better start picking colors on that new 17' foot bayliner open bow.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:34 AM
Registered

WW, if you look at my previous post, I am not calling for government action, far from it. I am saying that if we do not act responsibly, government action will occur whether we call for it or not.

Also, as Dano pointed out and I tried to convey as well, if it goes on, insurance companies will take care of it.

I do not make my decisions based on govt. recommendations. As I pointed out, my decisions are guided by common sense, or at least I think so. WW, I trust you protect your family in every way you can but I also believe that avoiding taking them out on a 170 mph ride in an open cockpit boat is part of that due care. Is it just me or is there anybody else who is genuinely concerned when kids are seen playing around in an open cockpit at 150+ mph?
Old 03-02-2004, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wicked Won---Dano......Not much I can add to what you guys have said........Read the article about 'Jet Set" They came upon a group of ducks at speed...didnt see them untill they were on top of them...took them down the tunnel....If it had been a big tree ?....Sunken container?....All the training in the world is not going to help. Thats the risk we CHOOSE to take ! Thank god for America
Old 03-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hip to that birdog...getting ready for the season big boy?
Old 03-02-2004, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant Friggin wait , Dano !!!!!!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: No, No, No Regulation !

I agree with WickedWon; you want to ruin this sport forever then get the government involved. I can't believe that licensing is being debated. I don't go more than 70 in my little boat but the last thing I want are speed limits. Do you want to be regulated by people far less experienced than us?

It will be a sad day when I have to get a radar detector for my boat.

Roby
Old 03-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Registered

It's simple,you have to know your limit's. When it's your time it's your time.

Quick Reply: are pleasure boats running too fast?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.