are pleasure boats running too fast? >

are pleasure boats running too fast?

Notices

are pleasure boats running too fast?

Old 03-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Shane
The sensationalism above is horrendous journalism at best! If you read the article you can find countless mistakes. The lack on integrity in the media is deplorable and it appears that even some publications within our hobby need some house cleaning.
This is the part that really stands out to me:
and participated in high-speed races on the Chesapeake called "poker runs,"
That should help how people view poker runs Someone needs to write these dumb*sses and tell them poker runs are NOT races. Otherwise there won't be insurance for them in the future.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Registered

The idea of canopy's is great. however, in pleasure applications we fail to discuss the reduced visibility a canopy causes. I have been in several canopied boats and have never felt certain of who may or may not be alongside of me or coming up behid me. Additionally, canopies distort your forward vision to a degree. I am not certain if the increased safety of the occupants is worth the reduced vision and clarity thereby POSSIBLY decreasing the safety of others.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Registered

Originally posted by clearcut3
This is the part that really stands out to me:

That should help how people view poker runs Someone needs to write these dumb*sses and tell them poker runs are NOT races. Otherwise there won't be insurance for them in the future.
Think not? Then why does the poker run in NY have a "King of the Hudson" award for the first boat to the Tapenzee bridge? It's a race minus all the safety of sanctioned racing, including clearing the course. It's a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Registered

Originally posted by mr_velocity
Think not? Then why does the poker run in NY have a "King of the Hudson" award for the first boat to the Tapenzee bridge? It's a race minus all the safety of sanctioned racing, including clearing the course. It's a disaster waiting to happen.
The NYC run is advertised as a race and run I believe. EVERY OTHER poker run I have participated in, it was CLEARLY stated COUNTLESS times that the event was indeed NOT a race. Unfortunately, whenever uninvolved or uninformed people see two performance boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles etc., running next to one another it is automatically a "race".
Old 03-02-2004, 12:34 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This is as much about the equipment, and talent as self control.

In my opinion, the available boat speed is out running both the manufacturer's hull design limits and the driving abilities of the average performance boater. This doesn't need legislation....Heaven forbid...but, rather, more knowledge and dialogue regarding the mechanical limits of the hardware....and the consequences of even the slightest miscue at ballistic speeds.

A few weeks ago I posted that there is a finite limit to how much time even the best drivers and boats can spend at speeds over 120 mph (Bill Muncey, Ron Musson, etc, etc etc)........ and that is why I had avoided rides in the highest performance cats that have been offered to me. For one thing...if I ain't driving...I ain't going fast with someone else. But, even if I am in control..one errant coke bottle or piece of driftwood, or faulty casting, or locked transmision, or air bubble in the laminate, or unseen roller, or lateral wind gust...... could spell disaster.

Having been around fast boats all my life, and having lost too many dear friends, I believe the performance level available is a ticking time bomb..... One that we better get our arms around before someone else "controls" it for us.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 03-02-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:39 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

The idea of canopy's is great. however, in pleasure applications we fail to discuss the reduced visibility a canopy causes. I have been in several canopied boats and have never felt certain of who may or may not be alongside of me or coming up behid me. Additionally, canopies distort your forward vision to a degree. I am not certain if the increased safety of the occupants is worth the reduced vision and clarity thereby POSSIBLY decreasing the safety of others.
If you buy a new canopy from Textron....you will have minimal visibility issues...or none. If you use old canopies from gov't surplus scrap...Caveat Emptor.

T2x
Old 03-02-2004, 12:41 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by mr_velocity
Face it folks...if your boat is capable of high speeds in a Poker Run......... It is often times a race...without helmets.

T2x
Old 03-02-2004, 12:41 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

thank you rich i was waiting for your response on this one.

and i'm in 100% total agreement with you.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Registered

as you all know i've been on a couple boats.. just took a 33ZX out and it did 76 gaffrig t-tail.. and say someone how sells boats i can tell you that they are just going too fast and unsafe for 90% of the people that own boats... the other 10% of people can rig there boats to go 150plus
Old 03-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Registered

The NYC run is advertised as a race and run I believe. EVERY OTHER poker run I have participated in, it was CLEARLY stated COUNTLESS times that the event was indeed NOT a race. Unfortunately, whenever uninvolved or uninformed people see two performance boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles etc., running next to one another it is automatically a "race".
That is my experience also. EVERY poker run I have attended has made a special effort to state "This is not a race".

Quick Reply: are pleasure boats running too fast?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.