OT: Just received a new assessment... >

OT: Just received a new assessment...

Notices

OT: Just received a new assessment...

Old 03-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by formulaz583
Shane, thats the way it is everywhere. Your house is on a really nice part of the lake in Basin Bay. Its worth a lot of money, and the taxes are based on that. I understand that you didn't buy it for an investment, but the fact is there is only so much lake front property on LG, and they ain't making anymore. The people that live on the other side of Rt 9 couldn't pay your taxes, let alone afford to own your house. It might not be fair, but because you have the ability to afford that house, you have to pay more taxes than the people that can't afford it. I'm sure that the taxes in Niskayuna are a lot more than they are in Schenectady. Same deal, nice area, nice house, more taxes. My house is worth twice what I paid for it, and taxes are twice what they were when I bought it. Its not for sale, so I don't care what its worth, but I still get to pay the taxes on it.
Formulaz583,

Was wondering who you are?
Old 03-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Registered

You seem to know me. Would be nice to place aperson with a screen name. As you have probably seen much credibility is given to those whose identity is not concealed. Thanks for the compliments BTW.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:14 PM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've read most of this thread & maybe I missed the part about how so many lake front property owners are seasonal & therefore not residents & therefore not able to vote in general elections for things like Town Supervisors, Bond Offerings, etc....

These seasonal lakefront property owners end up bearing a considerable tax burden for the time that they do utilize the services provided by their tax dollars... three, maybe four months of the year.... And I think it does matter if the property has been handed down from generatiion to generation.... the perception is that lake front property owners are able to "afford it' because of the value of their lakefront property.... How about the guy that inheirited the property from his successful parents & may be a middle income wage earner... he wants to keep the place so his kids can enjoy it growing up the way he was able to.... this person should have to sell it because he has an unrealized gain?

Lake George is popular for many reasons.... the lake front property is valuable because it is in demand.... the demand is there because Lake George is popular.... thats the main reason.... the town owes something to the Lake Front property owners for investing in that property & maintaining it.... without those beautiful homes how popular do you think that lake would be as a tourist attraction? The toursist bring the real money in... not the lakefront property owners... I think the town is short sighted to look to the lake front property owners as primary beneficiary & tax them accordingly....

I gotta go with SHANE on this one.....
Old 03-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Registered

Originally posted by GORT
I've read most of this thread & maybe I missed the part about how so many lake front property owners are seasonal & therefore not residents & therefore not able to vote in general elections for things like Town Supervisors, Bond Offerings, etc....

These seasonal lakefront property owners end up bearing a considerable tax burden for the time that they do utilize the services provided by their tax dollars... three, maybe four months of the year.... And I think it does matter if the property has been handed down from generatiion to generation.... the perception is that lake front property owners are able to "afford it' because of the value of their lakefront property.... How about the guy that inheirited the property from his successful parents & may be a middle income wage earner... he wants to keep the place so his kids can enjoy it growing up the way he was able to.... this person should have to sell it because he has an unrealized gain?

Lake George is popular for many reasons.... the lake front property is valuable because it is in demand.... the demand is there because Lake George is popular.... thats the main reason.... the town owes something to the Lake Front property owners for investing in that property & maintaining it.... without those beautiful homes how popular do you think that lake would be as a tourist attraction? The toursist bring the real money in... not the lakefront property owners... I think the town is short sighted to look to the lake front property owners as primary beneficiary & tax them accordingly....

I gotta go with SHANE on this one.....
Very well put GORT. Thank you. This pretty much sums up my situation to a tee. You clearly know much about our area. Where are you from?
Old 03-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So when the lake front property is made of UNOBTANIUM then we as water front owners should pay 100,000 a year? I am glad that my property in Maine has a road in front of it. That way I do not get taxed as waterfront but have all the benifiets. So what if I ever have kids if they may get run over As long as Monroe the dog boy stays out of the drivers seat I should be ok
Gorts point about no representation is a wonderfull one. We do NOT get to vote so we kind of get screwed. Shane maybe you should register up there to vote?

Jon
Old 03-05-2004, 03:00 PM
Registered

Jon,

I actually maintain the lake house as my permanent residency for that VERY reason and my wife maintians her in Niskayuna (just north of Albany) to vote there.