Project Update - 45 Apache >

Project Update - 45 Apache

Notices

Project Update - 45 Apache

Old 03-03-2004, 03:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

CigaretteFirefox: I could not get the PM to go through, so I'll post it here. It's not a big secret anyway because everybody here knows what boats and their parts costs. I guess that you could say we are all in the same boat! OK. That was bad.

As everybody knows, we have been working on this Apache for almost a year now. Including the original purchase price, we have 150-160K in the boat so far. That includes everything except the trailer and the money we got back from selling the old parts.

The most expensive items were obviously the engines. The only thing we used from the old engines are the blocks, and those were even bored and decked by a machine shop before starting the rebuild. Basically they are brand new engines now from the crank to the carbs. We even replaced the accessories (starters, alternators, steering pumps, etc) because the old ones were just plain worn out and marginal. Better safe than sorry.

Another big ticket item was the purchase of new Huber 1330 transmissions. The boat had crash boxes when we bought it, which some people like better than transmissions. For racing I agree that crash boxes are the way to go, but for a pleasure boat I prefer transmissions. I am not saying that one is better than the other. It is just a matter of personal preference.

The last big expense was the new trailer. The old trailer pictured in the thread was a bumper pull style. The hitch on my F-450 is only rated for 14K pounds and is the largest that I could find. Figuring that the boat weighs around 12K pounds the way it is, without a cabin or fuel (holds 400 gallons), I did not want to chance being over weight in the event of a traffic stop or a traffic accident. For this reason we are building a new Myco gooseneck. It has everything from the tool boxes to a fresh water tank and pump for washing and flushing the boat. This will allow us to take care of the boat after a run no matter where we are. If you are gonna do it, you might as well do it right. Right?

Anyhow, the rest of the money was spent on a lot of miscellaneous items. We rewired some things, added some electronics, fixed or replaced some things that were not working, replaced some things that were missing, made cockpit and travel covers, etc...

That is all that is going to happen this year. The boat still needs cosmetic work, but the electrical and mechanical items are all brand new now. Next winter, if finances allow, we want to paint it, add a simple cabin, re-upholster the cockpit and change a few more odds and ends. When that is done the boat will be back to brand new condition...where it deserves to be!

Some people may think that we are crazy for dumping money into an old boat and restoring it, but I plan to keep this boat for a long time and want to do it right the first time. It may not be the fastest or the best looking when it is done, but it will be done the way that I want it! I have had state of the art race boats and even just sold one, but now I am changing gears and I just want to cruise off into the sunset in this old resin bucket!

Last edited by Hot Duck; 06-15-2004 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

stecz20: I am at the fire house. 7pm-7am. OSO helps pass the time! The engines were built by Carolina. This is who Tres recommended and this board gave me a favorable reply towards them as well. I did have a few negative comments when I asked the board about them, but the favorable comments outweighed the bad ones 10 to 1. They sound great on the hose, but we'll see how they actually run in another week or two. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Hot Duck; 03-03-2004 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will looks great....talk to you soon... dave
Old 03-03-2004, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

the previous owner had a motorcycle and a race car that matched that vinyl color scheme correct??
Old 03-03-2004, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

by the way will, i think im putting in a order for that f-450 this april or may... thanks for all your help on that... dave
Old 03-03-2004, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hot Duck;
I got a look at the boat a couple of weeks ago when I was in town for the show. It looks great. I`m glad that you stuck with it to see the project through to this point.

Congratulations, hang in there and I`m sure that you will have a great boat when all is said and done. Nothing that is worth anything comes easy.
Roger
Old 03-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Hot Duck
CigaretteFirefox: I could not get the PM to go through so I'll post it here. It's not a big secret anyway because everybody here knows what boats and their parts costs. I guess that you could say we are all in the same boat! OK. That was bad.

As everybody knows, we have been working on this Apache for almost a year now. Including the original purchase price, we have approximately 150-160K in the boat so far. That includes everything except the money we got back from selling the old parts.

The most expensive items were obviously the engines. The only thing we used from the old engines are the blocks, and those were even bored and decked by a machine shop before starting the rebuild. Basically they are brand new engines now from the crank to the carbs. We even replaced the accessories (starters, alternators, steering pumps, etc) because the old ones were just plain worn out and marginal. Better safe than sorry.

Another big ticket item was the purchase of new Huber 1330 transmissions. The boat had crash boxes when we bought it, which some people like better than transmissions. For racing I agree that crash boxes are the way to go, but for a pleasure boat I prefer transmissions. I am not saying that one is better than the other. It is just a matter of personal preference.

The last big expense was the new trailer. The old trailer pictured in the thread was a bumper pull style. The hitch on my F-450 is only rated for 14K pounds and is the largest that I could find. Figuring that the boat weighs around 12K pounds the way it is, without a cabin or fuel (holds 400 gallons), I did not want to chance being over weight in the event of a traffic stop or a traffic accident. For this reason we are building a new Myco gooseneck. It has everything from the tool boxes to a fresh water tank and pump for washing and flushing the boat. This will allow us to take care of the boat after a run no matter where we are. If you are gonna do it, you might as well do it right. Right?

Anyhow, the rest of the money was spent on a lot of miscellaneous items. We rewired some things, added some electronics, fixed or replaced some things that were not working, replaced some things that were missing, made cockpit and travel covers, etc...

That is all that is going to happen this year. The boat still needs cosmetic work, but the electrical and mechanical items are all brand new now. Next winter, if finances allow, we want to paint it, add a simple cabin, re-upholster the cockpit and change a few more odds and ends. When that is done the boat will be back to brand new condition...where it deserves to be!

Some people may think that we are crazy for dumping money into an old boat and restoring it, but I plan to keep this boat for a long time and want to do it right the first time. It may not be the fastest or the best looking when it is done, but it will be done the way that I want it! I have had state of the art race boats and even just sold one, but now I am changing gears and I just want to cruise off into the sunset in this old resin bucket!
KUDOS!!!!!

I"m very happy for you HD

Keep up all the great work & keep posting Pics.

Fred
Old 03-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Registered

Nice ride Hot Duck.
I did not see if you posted hp and what you think this thing will do for speed? I rode in Medicine Man last year at about 80 and the ride was amazing, I assume your's will be the same. Good luck NK
Old 03-03-2004, 08:58 AM
Registered

I'm with Too old...I think you will have one h*ll of a boat for the money when you are complete. I like the idea of showing up to any event and being the ONLY one with the boat I'm in. I don't think you will run across to many other resin buckets that big in this life time
Old 03-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Will,
The boat looks great!, also congratulations on your recent marriage!
Bob

Quick Reply: Project Update - 45 Apache

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.