Notices

Rolling Thunder

Old 03-03-2004, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rolling Thunder

Last night I watched a great TV program called Inside NFL. They did a spot on the 2001 Baltimore Ravens training camp. It was a great show. In the shoot they showed Tony Serigosa (he weighs in at about 200 lbs. - give or take 500 lbs.) driving Rolling Thunder in Florida waters. I assume that is Tony's boat.

However, I remember Rolling Thunder from the 1980s back on the Great South Bay on Long island. That was some kick-ass boat. I know it was probably not the same boat as Tony's. Maybe it was an Express Cat, but it won all the races on Long Island. I can't remember the original owner either. I guess I am getting old.

Can someone bring me up to date on the history of Rolling Thunder?

TNX,

Phil
Old 03-03-2004, 09:31 AM
Registered

Talking the Goose

...with Kurt Berger at our AC Race last summer
Attached Thumbnails Rolling Thunder-kurt-goosesmall.jpg  
Old 03-03-2004, 09:39 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, Tony's got big mits!!
Old 03-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the original "Rolling Thunder" was raced by Vince Rinaldi and his sons. I think they started out with a 30' Sutphen, then a 32 Cobra (V hull) then eventually a Conquest cat with 4 outboards. The last boat they ran was a 35 Jaguar cat which was later campainged out of Arnold's Yacht Basin in Point Pleasant NJ. This was off the top of my head-there could have been other boats.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:43 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Robert Geoghegan
I believe the original "Rolling Thunder" was raced by Vince Rinaldi and his sons. I think they started out with a 30' Sutphen, then a 32 Cobra (V hull) then eventually a Conquest cat with 4 outboards. The last boat they ran was a 35 Jaguar cat which was later campainged out of Arnold's Yacht Basin in Point Pleasant NJ. This was off the top of my head-there could have been other boats.
...and the Baja also

Old 03-03-2004, 09:44 AM
Registered

Is that Tony's "Superbowl Ring"?
Old 03-03-2004, 09:45 AM
Registered

Marty-your right, they ran the Baja cat not the Jag
Old 03-03-2004, 09:48 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Rolling Thunder

Originally posted by Spectre Man
Last night I watched a great TV program called Inside NFL. They did a spot on the 2001 Baltimore Ravens training camp. It was a great show. In the shoot they showed Tony Serigosa (he weighs in at about 200 lbs. - give or take 500 lbs.) driving Rolling Thunder in Florida waters. I assume that is Tony's boat.

However, I remember Rolling Thunder from the 1980s back on the Great South Bay on Long island. That was some kick-ass boat. I know it was probably not the same boat as Tony's. Maybe it was an Express Cat, but it won all the races on Long Island. I can't remember the original owner either. I guess I am getting old.

Can someone bring me up to date on the history of Rolling Thunder?

TNX,
Phil
Rolling Thunder was Vinnie Rinaldi's racing team. He and his two sons, Vince and Peter, started out campaigning a Sutphen vee in Production class. Later they put the name on a cut down Cobra vee and had considerable success with both boats.....
We Linder/ Luhrs / Adams...Conquest Marine built them a radical outboard cat which was the first and only offshore race boat to use Champ boat (tunnel hull) race engines...(see below).

Later they bought a Baja inboard cat which, after limited racing and some problems, was sold to a Marina owner in New Jersey, Arnold D'ambrosia...who has raced it ever since. He also put that name on a Jaguar cat as well.

T2x
Attached Thumbnails Rolling Thunder-rolling-thunder-3.jpg  

Last edited by T2x; 03-03-2004 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:14 AM
Registered

Thanks T2X,

Vince Renaldi was the name I was looking for. I do remember the Baja Cat.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

T2X

Perfect history of Rolling Thunder.

L.S.

Quick Reply: Rolling Thunder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.