OT: Drag Motor Turbo or Blower >

OT: Drag Motor Turbo or Blower

Notices

OT: Drag Motor Turbo or Blower

Old 03-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Drag Motor Turbo or Blower

Which is better for a drag motor, large single turbo, twin turbos or a blower. The motor is a a new Z06 Vette.

And Why????
Old 03-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Registered

IF YOU WANT IT STREETABLE, BLOW HER
WE DID TWIN TURBOS ON A 94 Z28 WHAT A NIGHTMARE SHE WAS FAST BUT ALLWAYS HAVE A TOOLBOX CLOSE.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Single Turbo may have a big lag because it takes longer to spool up and may cause some lag while shifting. Smaller turbos spool up quicker. We used to run twin turbos in my fathers boat back in the early 80's with varying degrees of success. Personally I would go blown, but that is my opinon.

I have seen people make 1500 HP with twin turbos on small blocks!
Old 03-03-2004, 10:54 AM
Registered

Car will not be streetable.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:59 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey, the GN's were very successfull in Turbo Charging. A reason they were so successfull is that a motor with any combination of 3 cylinders (ie, 3, 6, 9) benefit from something called pulse charging. This causes pulses in the exhaust that help to increase exhaust velocity and improve boost.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

turbo with one big turbo and nos for first gear to get off the line. I have a friend that has alot of testing with this. his number is 417-782-5392 Brad smith

Tyson
Old 03-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Registered

Drag racing only=turbo
All other uses=roots or screw supercharger

Higher average torque is faster than higher peak torque.

If its a pure drag car with proper gearing the turbo may be faster(quarter mile only). This assumes a high stall converter (automatic) or 4000 rpm clutch dumps(gonna need a 5 or 6 speed manual).

For everyday use the supercharger will be
faster , i.e. your rolling in 1st gear then hammer the throttle.

A Supercharged engine will have superior throttle response to a turbo charged engine.

vtec
Old 03-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to go fast, it really doesn't matter what style you use.
There is plenty of power out there in any form. Blown, twin turbo, naturally aspirated big cubic inch, or injected (mechanical or efi).
The real trick is to take your power level and apply that power efficiently to the gound.
Automatics are simple, but they are for p*ssies! (yes I expect to be flamed for that-I don't care) Auto's belong in the tow vehicle, get yourself a stick and go have some real fun!

We built a 9700 RPM 437" naturally aspirated efi motor that was a ball to run. Also a tenth quicker than the national record at the time.

Just make sure you have a good chassis and have fun!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:18 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr. Velocity,

If considering going with a turbo on the Vette. Try contacting Turbo People of Hastings,New York. They are very knowledgeable with large displacment turbos for drag cars either in single or twin. I believe they maintained the three Race Cars that the late great Racin Jason Betwarda. If anyone recalls these cars one was an all white Mustang Gt Convertible with a larger displacement(351) twin turbo motor that ran a best of 7.54 at 185mph in the 1/4 mile. The second was a Mustang Notchback that ran a single turbocharged 331ci. that ran mid-high 7second 1/4's. The third was a prostock bodied Ford probe with Twin Turbo Power in it. Al motors were built by Kenny Duttweiler of Duttweiler performance.

Turbo People
Hastings, New York
914-478-1727
www.turbopeople.com
Old 03-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Lingenfelter offered some kick-ass turbo systems for the vette. I highly doubt that anybody could beat them.

Anyways, two smaller turbos will spool quicker, and offer the same high end flow as a single big turbo. Turbos are much more difficult to tune than a blower.

Quick Reply: OT: Drag Motor Turbo or Blower

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.