I want to be a Mercury Certified Tech >

I want to be a Mercury Certified Tech

Notices

I want to be a Mercury Certified Tech

Old 10-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to be a Mercury Certified Tech

Whats the process and who to talk to? There isnt much online about their school....do you have to be sponsored by a independent dealer or something?

I'm down to my last bill, I'm free to move anywhere, Im single and have no baggage. Looking to change careers after being with BMW for over 7 years and I feel this would be a great change because it deals with a life style I enjoy very much.

Any input would be great!! Thank you
Old 10-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zimm1978
Whats the process and who to talk to? There isnt much online about their school....do you have to be sponsored by a independent dealer or something?

I'm down to my last bill, I'm free to move anywhere, Im single and have no baggage. Looking to change careers after being with BMW for over 7 years and I feel this would be a great change because it deals with a life style I enjoy very much.

Any input would be great!! Thank you

Question.

Is it safe to assume you are a BMW mechanic?
IF you are then why wouldnt you open your own shop or go to work for an independant?

TONS of BMW need work everywhere and the dealers are EXPENSIVE.

You could do this and go to Merc school when you figure the path

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 10-13-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Registered

thanks UD

no, but i'm certified gear head in my off time.

So is it something where i just call up mercury marine to get info on where it is, how to enroll, schedule, etc? Is it something anyone can jump into, or is through a local dealer sponsorship thing?

Thanks!!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered

Have you contacted any local authorized Merc. dealers/shops in your area? I'd start by a phone call to a local authorized dealer or Merc. itself. See what they say and go forward if it can be worked out. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

I looked into something like that when I was in your "boat." Look into the Marine Mechanics Institute. They have a reasonable program and can help with financing it and getting the job. They have 3 or 4 locations in the country. BUT, I've never known anyone that went there.

I would also try to volunteer for a race team or ask for a very low paying job at a performance shop or boat builder sweeping floors doing WHATEVER for minimum wage. If they like you I'm sure you'll get paid enough to eat.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MMI buddy

www.uti.edu/Marine
Old 10-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know you have to work at a Mercury shop and the shop has to send you.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I looked into something like that when I was in your "boat." Look into the Marine Mechanics Institute. They have a reasonable program and can help with financing it and getting the job. They have 3 or 4 locations in the country. BUT, I've never known anyone that went there.

I would also try to volunteer for a race team or ask for a very low paying job at a performance shop or boat builder sweeping floors doing WHATEVER for minimum wage. If they like you I'm sure you'll get paid enough to eat.

Great advise! Thank you. That's the direction I want to go in. Even if it means sweeping floors for min wage then take it from there. I'll look in to MMI and see if they have merc certs. Money is not a problem for paying for the schooling, I have that covered along with moving expenses. Just trying to find the opportunity and how to get started in a new career.

When I go after something I give it 120% like I did with BMW. It's good but not challenging to me which I don't like. I know I can do more and want to prove it to myself.

Please keep the ideas coming and possible direction I should chase after. Thank you so much!! I love the chase and to catch the dream and concur is the goal!!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:43 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call TNT Marine in Miami
Old 10-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,053 Likes on 277 Posts

We send our mechanics to merc school in NH twice a year, but they work for us and we are a Platinum Merc dealer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.