Notices

gas price tirade

Old 03-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GL-
BTW, congratulations on your business doing so well. Although things are bad for a great deal of blue collar mid-America, I'm happy that there are certain areas such as yours that are showing success. I sure hope there is an answer to the problem of so many mfg. jobs being lost overseas.

It was nice visiting with you in Miami- we sure do like your new boat!
Jim
Old 03-03-2004, 07:13 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Jafo,
I feel for the economic hardship you are explaining.

My extremely humble opinion is that the working landscape in the US is changing drastically and that the scope of work of the average American workers is changing also. This unfortunately affects some geographical areas negatively but some other areas are in full expansion. The net of this equation evaluated on a National level again according to my drastically unimposing knowledge is still positive.

A bunch of good books explains this very plainly and accurately. The key here is to keep up with the times and adjust. Just the humble opinion of an exported french Canadian living in hick-town Vermont adjusting to new economic times.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:18 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by jafo
...congratulations on your business doing so well...
I'm a working stiff drawing a paycheck. It's not my business. I try to make some on the side that involves some extra efforts but it's worth it.

Thank you for the compliments on the boat it is very appreciated.

Last edited by GLH; 03-03-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

We've got it even worse over here.
Equivalent of almost $6 per gallon and I've got 2 454's to feed.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:41 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Originally posted by HyperBaja
As I said, Cam 2 is only 3.00 a gallon here. If regular 89 goes to 3, I will just advance the timing a bit more...
Do you really think it will remain at that price if gas goes to 3.00 a gallon????
Old 03-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Neverfastenuf
Do you really think it will remain at that price if gas goes to 3.00 a gallon????
I know here it was 3.00 a gallon back in 1998 when local gas was at .98 cents. God does that sound like stealing now.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:01 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just filled a few 55 gal drums with 76 leaded 110 for $3.19 a gal last week.
I think I'm gonna fill another 15-20 drums next week, and just wait for summer.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 03-04-2004, 03:19 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

West Michigan has lost over 6000 jobs in the last year alone......most of the jobs went to Mexico F-in NAFTA is killing us period!! Gas prices are my last worry staying employed comes first!
Old 03-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Registered

The economy as a whole is fairly robust. Initial jobless claims continue to decline and employment numbers continue to climb. There still exists significant capacity utilization in the market place and subsequently that has kept CapEx in check. Much of this excess capacity is a function of technology enhancing the efficiency, speed and quality in manufacturing. Until companies have reached capacity limits there is likely to be little increase in CapEx. Typically wage inflation has a more significant impact on overall inflation than does commodity inflation. Today, commodity inflation is having a bigger effect on the little inflation we have than is wage inflation. Although the job market is recovering, until there are jobs chasing workers, don't expect to see wages go up faster than ordinary costs of living. That being said, we are seeing continued economic expansion. With interest rates at all time lows, and little to no inlfation, there appears to be little to no catalyst in the near future that would dictate the Fed to change rates. Given the economic situation (recession) he inherited, combined with September 11, I think that GW has done an exemplary job of keeping the country and the economy on track albeit we may not be on cruise control going 85 with the top down. I feel for those areas of the country that have been hit hard. No one, I mean NO ONE wants to see you folks go through such times. I wish nothing but the best for you. But please keep in mind that we MUST view the economic picture from a macro perspective in order to make rational decisions as to what is in the best interest of the COUNTRY!