Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Midwestern Lakes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73235-midwestern-lakes.html)

just add water 03-04-2004 02:36 PM

Midwestern Lakes

Does anyone have any suggestions on good lakes around the midwest where we can rent a condo or hotel and a slip for a week? We primarily boat on the great lakes and LOTO, but always looking for a new, FUN spot.

Has anyone heard of Lake Shelbyville in Illinois???

10x 03-04-2004 03:11 PM

Lake Shelbyville is a nice clean pretty big lake. Have alot of buddies that go there to go bass fishin.
Don't know if there are any rental accomodations tho.

Try callin the Ill DNR, I'm sure they would be able to tell you where to go for what you're lookin to do.
They're # for that area is Reginal office # 3 in Champaign ph# 217-278-5773
the main office in Springfield is #217-7826384, either one of those # will get you started. Good luck

Wally 03-04-2004 03:23 PM

We used to camp out at Lake Shelbyville at the state park cap grounds when we were into jetskiing.......great place with lots of coves to explore.......only thing we were warned about was that there are alot of trees under the surface of the water looking to take off a drive if you go where you not supposed to! :eek: Back then i didnt pay attention to the size of the boats on the lake (like 10+yrs ago) but there was alot of them there and lots of water to boat on.

Caincando1 03-04-2004 08:37 PM

Check into Lake Okaboji(sp) in northern IA. I haven't been there yet. But those that have, say it's great. It's also very touristy, so lodging and what not should be easy to come by.

IMO one of the best bodies of water in the Midwest is the Mississippi river. But then again I am a bit biased.:)

Brian

just add water 03-04-2004 10:20 PM

Thanks for the info guys. You got me scared about Lake Shelbyville and those submerged stumps. I grew up near a lake like that and know how bad those can be.

I've heard of Lake Okaboji, I think that Trailer Boats Mag did a story on that lake last summer/fall. It sounds like a decent lake.

Mr. Demeanor 03-04-2004 10:24 PM

Ive heard Oshkosh in Wiscinsin is nice. It would be fun to go for the big air show.

Steve_H 03-05-2004 05:53 AM

yes , lake cumberland looks like an awesome lake!
one of these days..........

Frequency 03-05-2004 08:07 AM

We hit Lake Shelbyville three or four weekends a year. It is a long, winding lake. Campgrounds with ramps are located all around the lake. There is an excellent resort, Eagle Creek, located near the middle of the lake. The resort has it's own docks - you can reserve a slip when you check in.

On the South end, near the dam, you will find cabins and another campground near Lithia Springs Marina. You can call ahead and reserve a slip for your boat. The marina is about 1/2 mile away from the cabins. There is a Subway restaurant on the water.

You will find stumps back in the coves, but don't let that keep you from checking the lake out. Plenty of water to run in without worry. Three marina's on the lake with a restaurant at the far North end make for great runs.

Check out www.eaglecreekresort.com

:)

just add water 03-05-2004 09:59 AM

The resort at Shelbyville looks nice. I think that we may have to check that out this year. It's close enough to us for a long weekend.

Hey Wild Willy, what type of accomodations do you recomend at Lake Cumberland? At this point, I would prefer not to do the houseboat thing, would prefer a condo with a slip or a hotel with a slip.

Thanks for all of the input...can never have too many options for boating spots, besides with Cabin fever at an all time high, it's nice to start making plans.

birdog 03-05-2004 10:13 AM

Jamestown Marina @ Cumberland...It is about the nicest
Slip with room overlooking.......or
Grider hill, Not as Fancy, but, still nice & very close to 76 Falls