Like Tree0Likes

Tiki Bar Openning... Solomon's Island, MD

Old 03-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Registered

For all those interested here is the deal on the Tiki Bar and opening (I have been doing this for way too many years). It is still operated by the original owners and Tony from Tony's River House in Benedict is opening the restaurant next door to the Tiki Bay. Whether it will be operating during Opening Day is still to be determined (I hope it is). Anyway, years ago the owners allowed free dockage up until Opening Day for anyone who wanted to tie up and wait for Opening (who the H E double toothpicks waits days for a bar to open). Year after year people kept coming earlier and earlier. I remember one year moving ice off boat on lift to get there. So a couple of years ago the owners decided to charge people showing up and now there is a .50 per foot fee per day and 1.00 per foot for electric per day. They still show up weeks early to wait for the party. Weather is the biggest concern but if you come it is the closest thing to Mardi Gras in Southern Maryland.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Registered

So, who can I raft up to when I show up.

I hope my engines will be finished in time. I had both yanked in Feb. to replace corroded Y-pipes. However, they found water in both engines (bad flappers) and the heads have to be removed. Manifold pressure checks ok. One cyl has no compression. The rocker arm bolts were hand tight. One engine mount was bad. Gheeezsh! The list goes on and on. Thank god I caught this stuff now.

The retired merc mechanic who works part time at Boatel Cali is doing the work. He really knows his chit and I'm happy about that.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Registered

My Boats: Boatless

John good to hear that you are still around. You will have to look for my new boat.

Bill if I make it and have space you are more then welcome next to me. As long as you can leave my AC unit alone.

Fast Edy I am always there on the 4th and its a really good time. Not a real big party just the local bunch hanging out drinking. Hope to see you down there.

DAve you going to be there at all this summer. We should try and meet up again.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Registered

My Boats: 26' Sonic Prowler

I've also never made to trip to the legendary "Tiki Bar". If the weather cooperates, we'll make the trip

Old 03-09-2004, 01:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados

Quote:
Originally posted by VelocityMike

DAve you going to be there at all this summer. We should try and meet up again.
Hey Mike,

I go down there a few times a year. No particular days, just when I get the whim. I'll see you at the Blue Angels raft up. I can't wait to see your new boat.

Dave M.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Love Machine
So, who can I raft up to when I show up.

I hope my engines will be finished in time. I had both yanked in Feb. to replace corroded Y-pipes. However, they found water in both engines (bad flappers) and the heads have to be removed. Manifold pressure checks ok. One cyl has no compression. The rocker arm bolts were hand tight. One engine mount was bad. Gheeezsh! The list goes on and on. Thank god I caught this stuff now.

The retired merc mechanic who works part time at Boatel Cali is doing the work. He really knows his chit and I'm happy about that.
I saw your engines all laid out on the bench the other day. Wondering why you don't just repower? I guess you have Jeff working on them. Jeff's brother is my next door neighbor.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by VelocityMike
John good to hear that you are still around. You will have to look for my new boat.

What is it? I think I remember seeing a 23 Nova or something similar over on CBPBA that you bought.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2012 39' Nor-Tech CC

I've been to the Tiki Bar several different years for opening weekend.... Got a room and a slip at the Holiday Inn, Friday party is crazy, Saturday afternoon/night party was really good also..... great time had by all, not for the novice drinker at all..
Old 03-09-2004, 07:17 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

My Boats: Formula 370 Super Sport

ah, the Solomon's Tiki Bar, nice spot. At the age of 21 with 22 years of experience, I'll pass on the opening.

Spicy, you forgot to add "Infamous, Sneaky & Dental Floss Wearing" to the Outboard Gang title.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 03-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Marlago 35 FS, 18 Neptune CC

Quote:
Originally posted by 29 OUTLAW
What is it? I think I remember seeing a 23 Nova or something similar over on CBPBA that you bought.
Mike got a really sweet Formula 311. Stock 454s and TRS. Runs real well and one of the engines is almost brand new.

Here it is.....
Attached Thumbnails
Tiki Bar Openning... Solomon's Island, MD-rocks%5B1%5D.jpg