Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is the difference between sirus & xm? >

What is the difference between sirus & xm?

Notices

What is the difference between sirus & xm?

Old 03-09-2004, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sirius is dying. XM all the way, better stations, better value, better equipment and support.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:39 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a hard time making the decision. I realized that Sirius had some problems and may or may not make it in the Satellite marketplace.
#1 reason I chose Sirius was their programing offered more of what I like to listen to and I can't even explain my crazy tastes it changes from one day to the next but they had it all covered including channels like Court TV and Discovery.
#2 They have no comercials on their music channels this was very important to me and if I'm not mistaking XM now offers the same.
#3 They support Offshore racing.

Fever Mike tried to compare the audio compression of Sirius Talk stations to the quality of AM and yes he got jumped on big time (and that was wrong). But he was wrong the sound quality of the talk stations is better than most FM tuners. I realize they do compress and why they compress but it just is not that big of a deal to even warrant an argument or discussion.

I hope we will all have the choices to make for some time it will keep the prices down and keep our music comercial free.

In NO way am I saying Sirius is better than XM I am saying it was a better choice for me and BTW both systems offer plug and play tuners so you can take them with you to multiple vehicles or even in a boom box. This equipment is dirt cheap I think I have less than $200.00 involved in the Truck and boat plus I prepay one year to keep the subscription price the same so if I need or want to change over its no big deal.

So with that said go to their websites and check out the programing and deals and see what fits you. I think either choice is better than being stuck with regular radio and the endless comercials and static.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:47 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Originally posted by Baja Daze
Sirius is dying. XM all the way, better stations, better value, better equipment and support.
This is the One thing I have never figured out about this Board! Because you Have XM Sirius is Junk? Because you own whatever kind of boat that you do the others are junk? Because you own whatever kind of truck you do the others are junk? How does this help a guy make a decision? I thought we were supposed to share the good and bad of our experiences

Support your statements and help people make decisions

They just had a comercial on TV for XM they are now offering local weather and info in major cities. Nice

Last edited by Scott; 03-09-2004 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally posted by Scott
This is the One thing I have never figured out about this Board! Because you Have XM Sirius is Junk? Because you own whatever kind of boat that you do the others are junk? Because you own whatever kind of truck you do the others are junk? How does this help a guy make a decision? I thought we were supposed to share the good and bad of our experiences

Support your statements and help people make decisions
Nope, you're wrong. I actually own neither, but will own XM soon. Do some research. Look at company financials. Try again.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally posted by Scott
This is the One thing I have never figured out about this Board! Because you Have XM Sirius is Junk?
BTW, I know what you mean...Some poor bastard comes on here asking about boat A, B and C.....then a hundred people jump down their throats telling then they need to look at boat D, E, F, etc. because that's what they have and, for that reason alone, it is the best.

Now, back to radios...Sirius is, indeed, not doing too well. They are losing market share fast, they are falling behind, XM offers better equipment. Go check out the different offerings, you'll see where the most features are and better technology is. Also, check out their programming.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Nope, you're wrong. I actually own neither, but will own XM soon. Do some research. Look at company financials. Try again.
I don't listen to either XM or Sirius financials I listen to their music and programing
Old 03-09-2004, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ya, but for how long?
Old 03-09-2004, 08:06 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

BTW, I know what you mean...Some poor bastard comes on here asking about boat A, B and C.....then a hundred people jump down their throats telling then they need to look at boat D, E, F, etc. because that's what they have and, for that reason alone, it is the best.

Now, back to radios...Sirius is, indeed, not doing too well. They are losing market share fast, they are falling behind, XM offers better equipment. Go check out the different offerings, you'll see where the most features are and better technology is. Also, check out their programming.
Dammit stop replying I have to get to work
I did check them out and around Christmas time I liked what the Sirius had to offer. It may of changed again I know that the competition is brutal between them. I just hope that they are both around for a long time to keep the fresh programing and pricing down. Hey look what happened to Betamax
Later
Old 03-09-2004, 08:08 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by buck183
Wow! 4 different units.

One of my warehouses just started carrying XM in a bag. Can be moved from vehicle to vehicle (or boat). Very cool product. I will be getting one.

Why pay for more than one subscription when you don't have to?

Buck
XM allows you to have up to 4 units on one account. The first one is $9.95apprx, each additional is $6 after that.

I have one XM in my truck, one in another truck, and one in the Cigarette. The Sirius came in the new Formula with a free 1 year subscription.

The portable ones are cool. They are cumbersome though and I prefer for it to run from the head unit in the dash.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a Delphi XM unit that has a docking port you can put in different vehicle or in the house. I'm kinda leading tords that one myself.

Quick Reply: What is the difference between sirus & xm?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.