Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   fiberglass gas tanks? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73600-fiberglass-gas-tanks.html)

Cord 03-09-2004 08:58 AM

fiberglass gas tanks?

1 Attachment(s)
I posted a thread on this some time ago and didn't get many responses. At that time, I was wondering why people bothered with aluminum gas tanks when they could just build one into the boat out of fiberglass. Some members knew it had been done, but I didn't get much more info than that. Well, during out tour of Skater, I saw that they were not using a aluminum gas tank. They would line a section of the tunnel with this white stuff. Drop in some dividers to reduce the fuel slosh, and then some how cap it. I don't know what the liner was, what the divider was or how they sealed the tank and put the fittings in. Can anybody help me with this?

jody165 03-09-2004 09:02 AM

All I know is that fiberglass tanks that are untreated eventually start deteriorating and end up in your fuel filters and carbs. It get's real bad. Perhaps the white stuff Scater uses can prevent this from happenning. I would also guess that using a tank would be slightly safer during a crash and delamination.

Madcow 03-09-2004 10:00 AM

Sonic is doing R&D on this idea right now.

wwwTOPDJcom 03-09-2004 10:49 AM

I like to see a fuel cell style I actually was in the water
after a fuel spill trying to salvage a boat, if you have ever gotten fuel on your skin and "Im not talking your Palms" you will know what Im talking about. it burns like hell. Being in a accident and gettng gas on you is NO fun aside from being very dangerous

Cord 03-09-2004 10:50 AM

There must be a way to make it work. I know that most new gas station underground storage tanks are fiberglass.

Flashwave 03-09-2004 10:55 AM

My motorcycle gas tank was "cream coated" to prevent rust from getting into the gas. Could be the same stuff.

More info on tank sealers.

macvtt 03-09-2004 11:04 AM

What about coastguard certification?
When I was looking at Motion they told me that they built it into the boat and said they needed the added strength built in for the boat. They also wanted to know if I was using 2.5's...... If so they would have to use a different resin because of the oil mix in the fuel would break down the resin.

mirageman 03-09-2004 11:16 AM

Can you say, "Exxon Valdez"?

glassdave 03-09-2004 12:23 PM

we have a place in town here that renews old rusty automotive fuel tanks. they use some kind of off white coating in the process that l'm sure is the same stuff. i have had several tanks done and they are guarnteed for life. check your phone book you might have a place near you that can give you the name of the stuff. also look under radiator repair as many of them do the fuel tank stuff too.

Cord 03-09-2004 12:32 PM

glass-if you had a tank to that point of completion, how would you go about putting the lid on it?