Extension box,,, stern jack on sunsation 288 >

Extension box,,, stern jack on sunsation 288

Notices

Extension box,,, stern jack on sunsation 288

Old 03-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extension box,,, stern jack on sunsation 288

Wondering if anyone w/ a 288 has an extension box or has any info regarding performance gain with one.. I was looking at www.land-and-sea.com and they are getting some great numbers,, between 5 and 10 mph with their stern jack for about 2,000...
Old 03-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Registered

My advise would be to go with a box and steer clear of the Land and sea. The land and sea puts way to much strain on the gimbel ring and if that thing breaks, the boat will be doing a minty degree turn, in other words unless you have hydraulic steering, the land and sea is just to dangerous. Go with a stelling or imco box. You can find them used for the same amount of money.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Registered

Have you been talkin to Kappus
I know nothing of the 288 and what effect an extension would have but the traditional "extention box" mounted on the transum looks like a much cleaner, stronger set-up to me.
You dont want to mess with steering or lack there of
Old 03-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Tantrum
Have you been talkin to Kappus
I know nothing of the 288 and what effect an extension would have but the traditional "extention box" mounted on the transum looks like a much cleaner, stronger set-up to me.
You dont want to mess with steering or lack there of

Chris,, he mentioned it to me last year, then I saw he replied to a post for one in the parts for sale section,, just got my curiosity wondering what it, or a stellings or something would do for a 288..
Old 03-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

You can find used ones around that IMCO built just like the land and sea but have ears for external steering. I sold one awhile back for around $800.00.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally posted by magnum27
My advise would be to go with a box and steer clear of the Land and sea. The land and sea puts way to much strain on the gimbel ring and if that thing breaks, the boat will be doing a minty degree turn, in other words unless you have hydraulic steering, the land and sea is just to dangerous. Go with a stelling or imco box. You can find them used for the same amount of money.
I would agree with mag. The return warantee is really nice too. Until you realize you just chopped off your ram eyes.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Registered

Your correct.
He was looking at one and was going to buy it. There was some investigative work done by another OSO member and there was some "previous application" concerns with the particular piece he was looking at. I believe he is still looking because he believes (as do I) there is room improved in his max speed with his set-up of HP & Hull. I would like to see him go with the extension box but the Stern Jack was available at the time and if that got him positive results it would be worth the time and money to look for a good box (Imco or Stellings) w/ the wing of the side to mount your hydraulics for the steering.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Registered

Man I have to type faster
Old 03-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Tantrum
Your correct.
He was looking at one and was going to buy it. There was some investigative work done by another OSO member and there was some "previous application" concerns with the particular piece he was looking at. I believe he is still looking because he believes (as do I) there is room improved in his max speed with his set-up of HP & Hull. I would like to see him go with the extension box but the Stern Jack was available at the time and if that got him positive results it would be worth the time and money to look for a good box (Imco or Stellings) w/ the wing of the side to mount your hydraulics for the steering.
I totally understand,, didn't realize ( or pay attention ) to the fact Pauly had hydraulic steering..

I would guess the performance of a box would totaly depend on the hull design, the better balanced and efficient a hull is, the less the effect of the box, maybe a couple mph's,, but what do I know about hydrodynamics..

P.S. Tantrum,,, dump your PM box, its full,, outgoing also..

Last edited by Chris232; 03-09-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Registered

bumped
I feel lighter already.

Quick Reply: Extension box,,, stern jack on sunsation 288

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.