Thunder On The Ohio/Evansville

Notices

Thunder On The Ohio/Evansville

Old 03-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thunder On The Ohio/Evansville

Has anyone went to it before? Can you watch by water, and if so, can see anything from having to stay at distance?
This yr it is Thur-Sun, June 24-27. Why 4 days long?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2004, 01:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you can watch it from the water. How close you get depends on how early you get there. There is usually alot of boats out there to watch from the water.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:28 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the Unlimited Hydrplanes, right?
Steve David runs in that one. He can tell you all you would want to know.
I've been wanting to get down there for the laast 2 years, but we are just too busy that time of year to get away for more than an afternoon.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:12 AM
jafo272

we've been the last 6 years and already planned this year to go. Last year we stayed at the marina $1 a foot and the docks are kinda sad and shallow. the view starts filling up at 10 am on Sun. We use all of the 100' anchor rope because the current is swift. Last year we bumpered with 2 houseboats and 6 others on the upper end of course. We run from Troy IN where are you thinking of puuting in at ?

Old 03-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Don't know. It's just got put in the discussion stage of things we need to do this yr.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

If you'd like to get up close and personal with the Unlimited fleet, call me when you're at the Evansville event and I'll have VIP Pit passes for you as guests of our team. If you're watching from the water, either end of the course is pretty good viewing although I understand it's a little better on the north side.
My cell will be 954-980-2643. Our boat is U-6 O Boy! O Berto.

Steve David
Old 03-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jerry, they run in Madison as well. Just about 18 minutes up from my ramp or 45 from CQ's. Many good overnight places in the area. You have your choice of slips, protected coves, bars that permit overnighting, backside of various islands or my place is always rockin that weekend and I am 500 yards from the ramp.

The only problem with the Madison event is that it conflicts with the party at the falls.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Steve,
Thanks so much for the offer. It would be a pleasure to meet you.

Jerry
Old 03-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Registered

You can watch from either the down or the up side of the river ok. If I had to say, the up side is a little better. If you are heading down make it a weekend, Saturday and Sunday. A lot of people camp out on the Kentuky side overnight. There are two nice public ramps, one on each side, that are only a few minutes away. You need to put in on the side you want to watch from because they close the course pretty early. Also, make sure you have a good anchor or two and plenty of rope. The current can be very swift that time of year! If you need any phone numbers for the marina or anything else let me know.

Steve
Old 03-06-2004, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jerry,, Thunder on the Ohio, is definitely an EVENT, you'll want to attend at least once, before you meet St.Peter{at the gates},, I was sitting here trying to remember the first one I went to,,,early eighty's??? OH well,, they were still mostly V-12 Piston Power with only a Few of the Big Money Teams starting to Experiment with the Turbines!! We would play "18" or "36" on Sat. then hit the Clubs Sat night, watch the Race on Sun. It was pretty Cool playing Cooler Golf, with the Sound of Thunder in the Background!!!!There is GREAT viewing from the Land if you Chose not to take your Beak Boat!!
Man,, Those Battles between Atlas Van Line and Circus Circus and BUD were Fierce,, Somewhere I have a few Pic's of the First O-Berto Boat that Ran at Thunder. if the "X" didn't confiscate them!!
The RiverFront area is all blocked off for Viewing and Partying, they also have Bleachers set up in that area for Prime Seating, at a small Fee of Course!!
Hell.. Iv'e about got myself talked into going back now!!! We kinda got Burned out on going there for a While ,after going for 14yrs in a Row,, seemed like I was always in the Dog House too , when I got Home!!!!!! Who Knows?? Steve might start a Winning Streak that Weekend, Set Speed and ET Records, not jump the Start{joke],, add more Stats. to his Hall Of Fame Career,,,, and YOU JERRY,, are thinking about missing all THAT??????????????????/??????

P.S.,, whats your Handicap? GOLF NOW NOT SPOUSES

Quick Reply: Thunder On The Ohio/Evansville

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.