Old 03-14-2004, 03:25 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Speed record

Posted on APBA site:

Miss Budweiser Shatters World Speed Record for Kilometer Run
Sunday, March 14, 2004

OROVILLE, Calif. - Dave Villwock and the Miss Budweiser team shattered the kilometer (Kilo) World Speed Record by 22.323 mph for an Unlimited Hydroplane boat here today on the Thermilito Afterbay, setting a new world record of 220.493 mph for a kilometer run, unseating the previous record of 198.17 mph which had stood for 42 years.

The team made history just shortly after 8:30 a.m. PT, as Villwock piloted the Miss Budweiser on the first leg of the run to an average speed of 213.437 mph and to an average speed of 227.550 mph on the return leg, resulting in the new world record of 220.493 mph. Villwock peaked the Miss Budweiser on the return leg at a top speed of 229 mph before the boatąs rudder and propeller failed, leaving the Miss Budweiser damaged and dead in the water.

"Dave Villwock is lucky to be standing back on shore," said Joe Little, president of Hydroplanes, Inc., owner of the Miss Budweiser. "Losing a propeller and the rudder at 227 mph is an extremely serious problem. It was on a similar speed record breaking attempt that the Miss Budweiser team lost driver Dean Chenoweth in 1982 when he lost a rudder and a prop and the boat went out of control, killing him."

Driver Dave Villwock said, "I'm glad I cleared the timing run, setting the record before the equipment failed. The team had worked extremely hard over the last couple of months preparing the boat for the run, working to put every variable on our side, but at 229 mph, we're putting all of the equipment at the extreme ragged edge and with the damage to the boat, weąd of had a hard time trying to make another run this weekend if we wouldnąt have set the record."

The previous record of 198.17 mph was set in 1962 by Roy Duby in the Miss U.S. I, in Guntersville, Ala., the same year that the late Bernie Little began his foray into Unlimited Hydroplane racing that would eventually produce the most successful team in the history of the sport.

"Our goal today was to set a new record that would stand for more than 42 years and I believe we did that," Joe Little said. "Dave and the team did an outstanding job as they always do. This is one team that has broken a lot of records over the years and Iąm thrilled that everyone is safe and that we could add one more record into the pages of history as we begin our final season of competition."

Calm waters and a nearly still wind provided the Miss Budweiser team with a perfect three-mile course to break the kilometer record.

"The weather was the one key factor we knew we couldnąt control and fortunately it cooperated with us today," said Villwock. "It was one of those things where we felt like the moon and stars would be in alignment for a short time and we had to take advantage of that window."

The Miss Budweiser team has had several other firsts, including the first team to top 130 mph, 150 mph and 160 mph in competition. In 1999, Dave Villwock and the Miss Budweiser team set the World Lap Speed Record of 173.384 mph during competition in San Diego, Calif.

Dave Villwock is entering his 12th season of competition and eighth in the cockpit of the Miss Budweiser. Villwock boast the most victories of any Miss Budweiser driver in history. He has seven World Championships, 41 career wins and five APBA Gold Cups to his credit.

The Miss Budweiser team is the most successful team in Unlimited Hydroplane racing history. The team has entered 360 races in 41 seasons, finished in the top three 234 times and finishing first 136 times. The team has won the prestigious APBA Gold Cup 14 Times _ The oldest motorsports trophy in history, which will celebrate its 100-year anniversary in 2004 _ and has captured 23 World Championships.

=======================
I for one will miss Dave and the Bud in 2005..

It's now for the young guns--Go gettum Steve David!!!!
Attached Thumbnails New Speed record-bud-cypress.jpg  

Last edited by gdfatha; 03-14-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet! Nice Picture
Old 03-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool.

I read were Amhisheur(sp) Bush is getting out of the Hydros all together after the 2004 season.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Incredible! Nice run, congratulations Miss Bud team!
Old 03-15-2004, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UFB
Old 03-15-2004, 08:28 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

That is fast but I'd like to see the Bud going through Gov't Cut in about 5 footers! BH