Notices

Cougar England/Brownie

Old 03-18-2004, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish I had a dang picture of that boat. I'll try to find one. Anyway, when we built it, it was a narrow (6') tunnel catamaran with 8' wide sponsons, or side hulls. This was before the days of ASD's and such, so we built the aforementioned converging shaft surface prop system, with the struts and rudders sticking down from the "back porch" which was 8' long (fore and aft), and about 3" above the water at rest.

The first time that we ran the boat, we we sorely dismayed, when it ran 36 mph instead of 56 mph. I blamed it on that sonofa***** in Italy who hadn't sent the right props. Well, it wasn't his fault. Sonny Levi went for a ride with us, and pointed out that the back porch wasn't clearing the water, and was creating a suction which was causing the water to turn up to the back porch behind the transom, and travel along with the boat. This means that the props has to accellerate the water from 0 relative mph, to boat speed (impossible to do).

No problem, I said. Since the back porch was free of the water at rest, we got back there and drilled two 6" holes, through the porch, over the "down" side of the propellers. We welded a short 6" tube to the hole, and put a piece of heavy steam hose, 6" ID over the tube and up about 3'. Next test, it sucked the steam hose shut! You couldn't flatten that hose with a truck!. No problem, I said (again). I made an "X" out of 3/4" plywood, the length of the hose. Next test, it sucked the steam hose flat in the shape of a cross.

Sonny estimated that we had a partial pressure (vacuum) of 1/2 an atmosphere, 7.5 psi give or take, times 8' long x 22' wide, or something like 50 tons of vacuum!

We bit the bullet and hauled the boat ($2500 a pop, each way) and made the bottom of the porch v-shaped, to clear the sides for air. Next test, 56 mph! I guess you learn something new every day!
Old 03-18-2004, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Default T2X

Quote by T2X
I think you are talking about Lou Cooper's Michigan built Maverick hull , built by Steve Baum..... a charming, if humorless, ghoul who ruled offshore with an iron glan...er... hand.

T2x

T2X,
Can you go into some more history on both the
boat and your colorful discription Steve Baum, and
crew etc. ?

Great Stuff keep it coming please.

Cougarman
Old 03-18-2004, 09:08 AM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Re: 38' V- Bottom

Originally posted by T2x
I think you are talking about Lou Cooper's Michigan built Maverick hull , built by Steve Baum..... a charming, if humorless, ghoul who ruled offshore with an iron glan...er... hand.

T2x
That 32' Maverick (Breakout) is still around, I have some pictures that I will post later today.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:34 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Re: 38' V- Bottom

Originally posted by T2x

T2x
T2X, Lew Cooper owned Miss Gallo Wine

Cougarman, Break-Out was driven and owned by Al Gerstenberger and throttled by Bob Lisch/Kirk Strehler/Steve Fussel. George Handyside was the navigator and Doug Schultz was the crew chief. They were very sucessfull in "C" class