Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cougar England/Brownie (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73755-cougar-england-brownie.html)

818181 03-11-2004 04:41 PM

I was on a sportfish in 1980's & saw Bob Idoni & Michelle Maynard stuff & TOTALLY destroy a state of the art, real lite Cougar Cat, made of wood. Boat was running about 90-100 at the time, never knew what happened, anybody know! DB.

T2x 03-11-2004 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by BROWNIE
Although the wooden cats were laminated plywood, different characteristics on the outside, center and inner layers, the tunnels weren't strong enough to stand the pressure. If you made on that wouldn't break, those pesky v-bottoms could keep up with you.
Funny, we never had that problem.....of course we patterned our designs after dumpsters.

T2x:p :p :p

T2x 03-11-2004 04:46 PM

Originally posted by 818181
I was on a sportfish in 1980's & saw Bob Idoni & Michelle Maynard stuff & TOTALLY destroy a state of the art, real lite Cougar Cat, made of wood. Boat was running about 90-100 at the time, never knew what happened, anybody know! DB.
Yeah.................. it broke.

T2x

;)

818181 03-11-2004 04:54 PM

Yeah..... It broke into a Million Freakin' piece's, Thanx T2X , I guess I got my answer!

T2x 03-11-2004 05:01 PM

Okay enough kidding...... Cougar ruled the world back in the 80's . The wooden boat problems led to the aluminum hulls which basically dominated all of the top classes...... occasionally somebody would get by them;) but it wasn't easy.....nor consistently done. The glass Cougars were never in a class with the aluminum variants...IMHO..... with the exception of the "Brownie Cat" by Flight Marine which was almost as good as a Shadow :p ....... when driven by Bobby Sheer....and a bottle of vodka.

The Cougars set so many records and held so many championships in Open and Superboat class that I have lost count...and you could write a book about the colorful characters that raced in them.

Alan Brown...Brownie... is very modest. After starting a nunnery in the South of France, he accompanied Pope Pius 12th on a World tour, during which time he so inspired a young man named Jim Bakker and his lovely bride Tammy that the state of religion in the world has never been the same. After leaving the San Franciscan order of monks, because they did not meet his standards of spirituality, he decided to devote his life to making nubile young maidens happy....with a minor in performance boating..... As this thread evidences...he was successful on at least one of those counts. There are varying theories as to which one however......;)

T2x........ President Emeritus Alan Brown Scholarship Fund for beauticians and cosmetologists...... LLC

818181 03-11-2004 05:04 PM

T2x, You da man, I knew I'd get an answer !! DB.

T2x 03-11-2004 05:07 PM

Originally posted by 818181
Yeah..... It broke into a Million Freakin' piece's, Thanx T2X , I guess I got my answer!
My recollection is Michel had that boat built to set a kilo record with the understanding he would never race it in rough water. It had 1/4' decking I think. While it was being built Michel was diagnosed with Hodgkins disease and decided to race it while in a "What the H*ll" mindset of sorts...... Unfortunately Bobby Idoni ( a remarkable guy and a World Class talent in his own right) had the dubious distinction of having to go along for the ride.........

Brownie can correct me as I am always slightly off with Cougar stories...... Seeing as how I hated the damn things at the time

T2x;)

tomcat 03-11-2004 05:36 PM

Is the "Brownie" cat the design that became the Excaliburcat by Excalibur marine, later sold to Wellcraft?

T2x 03-11-2004 05:50 PM

Originally posted by tomcat
Is the "Brownie" cat the design that became the Excaliburcat by Excalibur marine, later sold to Wellcraft?
Yep....only when Brownie sold it..it was faster and had more panache.

T2x

fobes 03-11-2004 07:12 PM

I have that crash on video, its an old video mostly about the world championships in Key West back in the 80's and that boat is running along and getting "flighty" and then its in a million pieces.