Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Think I uncovered a new Ebay scam !! Watch out ! >

Think I uncovered a new Ebay scam !! Watch out !

Notices

Think I uncovered a new Ebay scam !! Watch out !

Old 03-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Think I uncovered a new Ebay scam !! Watch out !

If you see something that is too good to be true on ebay , Thats because it IS !! What I have found is perfect condition muscle cars and classic cars with a "BUY IT NOW PRICE" that is so cheap it is unreal !!

The thing is ,they are auctions that are resticted bids and you must contact the seller before bidding . Well you don't get replies till after the auction ends . So now you are buying OFF of ebay ,and a little less secure .

Also these are only 1 to 3 day auctions !!

The add says United states but Then , you find out they are in GERMANY !!

Then They are willing to pay half the shipping costs to your door !!

-----------------------------------------
The first one I found : 1933 willys coupe .perfect show condition , prostreet car . 1020 hp blown chevy motor with nitrous , tube chassis, wheely bars etc ! buy it now :$9,000 !! Now I now this car is worth At least 60-80 thousand ! A friend of mine just sold his for $120k ! They want me to send $3000 to Germany ,and they will send the car here for me to inspect . "IF" I accept it ,then I can send them the rest of the money ! IF not I just send the car back !
WHen I noticed the car had michigan plates I asked them about it and all the sudden the car was sold ! Not availible anymore . I had a cop run the plate and it is a valid plate but he wouldn't help me out . (HE didn't want to get in trouble , PUS*Y !!)

Next one : 1967 GTO convertable .Beautiful restored show car ! White leather interior white top . Perfect car ! Buy it now ,$9,100 ! I know this must be worth $30k or more .....

Next car : 1969 camaro convertable PERFECT RESTORED . BUy it now : $6000 . That's got to be a $25-$30k car or more .
------------------------------------------------
These people selling them, all have 100 % positive feed back .BUT , they have only bought things ,and very small things at that . Seams like they set these accounts up from the start to look good . They have never sold anything untill now .

BEWARE !
One of them is "bony-joanie" with the willys and the GTO.
The other is " mcasper10 " he has the 68 camaro.

I just tried to save the camaro link to "MY EBAYand it said it is not in there data base even though it has 1 day left !?!

I was actualy goign to fly to germany and buy it there to be sure until I started checkign deaper and found all this out .
Old 03-11-2004, 03:37 PM
packinair

yup.. that scams been around for awhile now.. stolen e-bay ID's.. there is a Z06 on there for $13k buy it now right now

Old 03-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting that %$@$$%^%% number at 5:15 tonight. They want $45. WTF I pay 45,000 for a truck from them and they nick me for $45. I will e-mail the number, they are pretty sure they reflashed it as it was in twice. The tech is cool, I would pay him in cash but the service d!ck was there when I was asking. I'll be ready tonight, look for a message. Thanks for your help. I think they remove the tags so you can't find the # out. They don't like chips you know.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Uh Mitch?????
Old 03-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Registered

I'm with Ron P....Mitch? What the heck are you referring to in your post? (not trying to be rude but just don't understand)
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You drinkin again Mitch
Old 03-11-2004, 04:39 PM
BK
Registered

This is how it works.

A perfectly good E-Bay account is stolen by those fake E-bay "Please verify your password" emails.

Once the E-Bay and Paypal accounts are snagged, then the thief can put anything up for sale, using the stolen person's ebay name and accont history. He changes the email address, and the paypal account to his own, so the real account owner doesn't even know what is going on.

The thief then lifts a photo of a random car or boat from any number of websites.

People are bidding on something that doesn't exist, and by the time the auction is over and item paid for, the thief has disappeared.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Registered

I definately think Mitch was thinking about something else when he posted that.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just heard on the radio about the e-bay car scams
Old 03-11-2004, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 1,786 Likes on 703 Posts
Default miight start as---

the fake e-mails from e-bay that are'nt really from them??
I just got one last week that had the e-bay letter head and everything.
It said that while doing regular updates that realized they copuld'nt verify my identity and that my account had been frozen!
They said I needed to use the "log on" link in the e-mail to update my info.
It smelled fishy and was.
e-bay has a link for waht they call "spoof e-mails" for just that reason.
They were probably were steeling identities that way.
Feed back tells you a lot.
I just sold a Dodge Super Bee last week on e-bay.
I was a little nervous dealing with a buyer on that dollar amount.
I checked the buyers feed back though and most of it was from him selling and it was items like Porsches and motorcycles which made me much more confident.
The check showed when promised and cleared in one day.
I can't see dealing with that kind of $$ w/o talking to the seller on the phone first.
Oh yeah on the spoof e-mail I got, the other thing that tipped me off was the wording of the message.
Can't remember exactly what it was but it was the correct words but they were reversed in the way they had it typed. Kind of like when you hear someone trying to translate another language to English. They do it and don't understand our language well enough to know they're doing it??
Like the Chinese restaurants where the waiter asks, "everything is O.K.?" instead of "is everything O.K.".
And yeah, that e-mail was bogus.
Gary
P.S. Hi Val!

Quick Reply: Think I uncovered a new Ebay scam !! Watch out !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.