Notices

Bolster tie down bolts

Old 03-12-2004, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolster tie down bolts

What is the recommended fix for stripped out bolster floor mount screws. The bolters are still very sturdy but I have about 3 or 4 screws that are stripped out in the floor. Before it becomes a problem I would like to fix it this year.
I know the best way to fix would be to cut an access hole and thru bolt from the bottom but I dont want to cut into the floor at this point. Is there a way I can fill the old hole and re-drill or some kind of anchor I can put in.
The bolsters are custom for the boat so moving them is not an option either. The arms come right up to the dash and wouldnt look right if moved.
Boat is a 25 Active Thunder.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Banned

Maybe a toggle bolt?
Old 03-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Registered

Thats along the lines I was thinking.
I havent had much luck finding anything that large of a diameter or in stainless.
Any leads would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:51 AM
Registered

Tantrum,

What Skater does is they have metal strips with threaded rod/bolts welded to them. These are then glassed in on top of the floor. When the seat is installed it covers the strip and glass work.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:51 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Tantrum
Thats along the lines I was thinking.
I havent had much luck finding anything that large of a diameter or in stainless.
Any leads would be appreciated.
Try Grainger, Eastwood or Fastenal.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Registered

Try here

http://www.fastenal.com/shoponline/s...g.asp?CatID=16
Old 03-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Registered

A toggle might work but you have to drill a large hole to get it thru. If the base plate is large it may cover this new hole. An example, a 1/4 inch toggle requires a 1/2 hole. This would require removing the bolster also. You could epoxy the hole and redrill but that is not the best, that stuf breaks out easy. The best is to get to the back with a few fender washers stacked but if you cant than I would not drill an access hole unless you make it a 5-6 incher and put an access cover over it, this would give acess forever and could be under the seat so it is hidden. Find a small kid and stuff him in there with a bolt and wrench. Anything permenent will require removing the seat or drilling an access hole. I was able to get to mine thru an access panel, I was lucky.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

After Waterfoul ripped my back seat out, I ended up using toggle boats. I threw 8 1/4" bolts in for the back seat. But as you guys posted, they take a friggin' huge hole.

If you can get any acces behind there, you could try using stainless T nuts. And they do make access hole cover plates that are not too ugly.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Registered

I forgot about Duct Tape of Bungy Cords. Maybe super glue? Of a big fat chick to hold them down.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:21 AM
Registered

If you were happy with the wood screws before, you can "fix" the hole by putting a length of copper wire in the hole then re-installing the screws. They will cut new threads into the wood and copper.

But if it were me, I'd put in an access plate and through bolt them ... fix it once and for good.

-Greg

Quick Reply: Bolster tie down bolts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.