Whats up at the Hustler Plant >

Whats up at the Hustler Plant

Notices

Whats up at the Hustler Plant

Old 03-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fred,

that trailer has been around the block a few times...it is an aluminum I beam that was originally bought for a 47 Apache. It kept peeling off wheels and tires every trip back and forth to FLA...the owner then bought a big azz myco and has never looked back...literally

the trailer woas sold to a guy with a 50 hustler, so i guess it somehow made it's way to the factory...i sjut thought it was interesting to see that trailer...

Hustler is located in the former Gruman facitilty in Calverton Long Island. The facility has long since been privatized although the NTSB had a hanger or two for the reconstruction of the Flight 800 airplane. There are currently a bunch of companies in there that make windows, boats...among others. I don't believe access is an issue any longer...but for some reason, and this is my gut only, Hustler has been a standoffish kind of boatbuiler and access always seemed kinda tough. After all, we are new yorkers I have heard great stuff about Joe, so I'm not trying to disparage him or his company, jsut a feeling i have...

funny thing is, that at their old facility, i could see why "tours" per se would be an issue as that place was a dump...but the new facility? I'd be showing that bad boy off...built with taxpayers money, it was clean and state of the art back in the day
Old 03-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know why did Fiore Sr. sell Hustler? Not trying to start anything here, just curious.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Registered

yep, it's pretty kickass. grumman used to assemble F-14 tomcats in there and it's laid out as if the guys who built that facility had boatbuilding in mind. compressor outlets everywhere, full climate control, full length overhead cranes, ventilated paint shed and the supreme luxury of all boatbuilding plants... the roof is not leaking anywhere.

too old, you're probably right but i still won the argument. you threw in the towel bro.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

funny thing is, i cant believe that trailer is still on the road...

I think...and I'm not speaking for anyone here...and this could be rumor also, but from a pretty reliable source, Sr. took on partners at hustler...not sure why, maybe to get an influx of cash, but as most partnerships go in the boat biz, this one seemed to sour...I think he had an agreement to stay on as consultant for a period of time, but eventually just left in disgust...

i'm sure if im wong someone will chime in
Old 03-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Registered

from what i know, paul fiore pretty much had to sell the company ie. find an associate because the company was in financial trouble at that time. he found a guy called mike who loved boats, had money but didn't have time to run the company due to his other commitments. so, the company continued to perform poorly in financial terms. mike then decided that enough was enough and in came joe and his brother. they bought hustler and turned it around within a few months. however, this involved a complete reorganization which was not compatible with fiore's idea of boatbuilding. from what i heard, fiore was all about experimenting new things, building prototypes, testing... which is expensive and leaves little time for actual manufacturing. i think it was a classic clash between an artist and a more rigorous, no BS type of guy. fiore was the artist, and joe was the rigorous one and without judging anybody, they did not mix well. paul fiore went on to work with mike on outerlimits with the success we know, while joe invested in a fantastic new facility and continues to build great boats... at a profit.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is NEVER NEVER NEVER an excuse for treating a customer rudely, or even unfriendly, especially one that has spent a few hundred thousand on your product. Even if you are having a bad day, anyone dealing in a business that sells something has to rise above their own personal situation and at least be thankful, friendly, helpful, appreciative, and all those other things that are part of customer service. Receptionist, book keeper, floor sweeper, owners wife, owner, or who ever there is just NO excuse not to be ecstatic when talking to someone who has bought your product, after all they are paying your salary. Even if there was no one available to provide a tour they could have be invited in to the office, maybe even for a quick look around, do they have a showroom. I looked on the web site and they show a full array of clothing, where is that shipped from China?? A friendly greeting in the lobby with a few free decals would have gone a long way to make a proud owner of your boat happy.

I hate to say it, because I grew up on Long Island but one of the things I thought about while reading this thread is that "New Yawk attitude". While there is an exception to every rule, New Yorker's even when they don't mean to be, can often sound rude. I bet the lady answering the phone probably did not even realize how she sounded.

Fred, you are completely right, but then you are a southern gentleman and deal with thousands of customers each week. Suggesting this is bashing and should not be posted is ludicrous, thank goodness this is a site where we can post the good, bad and even the ugly.
Super Termoil, I have a question for you. are you from NY? I was also wondering how come no one from Hustler has posted or called TP.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:07 PM
Registered

Originally posted by super termoli
too old, i do have a business relationship with hustler and this is why i feel strongly about all this. i know them pretty well and they are not bad people, quite the opposite actually. if i didn't know them, i wouldn't be talking, this is why i kept it shut when cigarette was criticized for the same thing. don't know them, can't defend or accuse them. but for hustler, i know it's not their standard practice. i've been there when joe takes people for tours. he likes to show them all aspects of the manufacturing process, from the glass shop to rigging and wiring. it often takes half a day to see everything and explain everything. if he doesn't have the time, joe will prefer not to do the tour at all rather than do something half-assed. anybody can have a bad day and have a slip up. that doesn't mean they should be crucified in public. especially as they don't deserve it in this case.

but all that is irrelevant since you gave up and i won this argument
Super T. Am I missing something, or are you are claiming to have won an argument that poor customer service is acceptable. I will now remember you as supporter of treating customers rudely, you can claim the bragging rights.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Registered

Let's put this one to sleep, shall we? I hope TP will be able to get his factory tour with respect he deserves.

But damn, you guys are a brutal bunch. No excuses, no exceptions, even the attorney gets a grilling.

As for rude customer treatment, I did not actually win. It's just that Too Old threw in the towel before it was done. So if rudeness becomes a trend, not my fault. Too Old was fighting for politeness and gave up too soon
Old 03-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Registered

ST, figures an attorney or possibly a politician since you now seem to be changing your position.......

I am glad to hear you say you "did not actually win", To Old is just to polite, and often just to right.

I am still curious are you from NY, and does Hustler have a showroom. Several years back before the change in ownership we were in town and took a tour. I think I remember a large general area sort of like a showroom, but that was many moons ago
Old 03-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Registered

Nope, still holding my position and I am certainly not from NY. However, and this will most definitely explain why I see no problems with rude behaviour, I am from France. From what I generally hear, French are generally rude people, from waiters to taxi drivers etc...

...in addition to being other things since recent political events took place but please follow Too Old's example and exercise restraint in your comments

As for Hustler's showroom, I am not aware of any but their facility is enough of a show. There will be several boats in different stages of production at any given time thus really giving you an insight into the building process and there will probably be a couple of finished boats which lets you admire the finished product. You'll see how boats get moved from dept. to dept. ie. from glass shop to wiring dept. to rigging dept. to outfitting dept... what materials are being used, you'll probably be able to inspect a hull that just came out of the mold, check out the vacuum-bagging process... it's a really cool experience.

And you know how it is: good things come to those who wait

Quick Reply: Whats up at the Hustler Plant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.