Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Question on Big SeaRays.... >

Question on Big SeaRays....

Notices

Question on Big SeaRays....

Old 03-14-2004, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is a decent trade off in the 38 foot range for diesel versus gas. There are a lot of 380 Sundancers out there with 370hp and 380hp Horizons that will cruise at 26mph and have a top end of 35mph+. Larger than that and it is all diesel unless you are planning on doing nothing but idling from point to point.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:39 AM
Registered

I gotta tell ya, I have a 400EC w/454/310's that will cruise all day at 25 and top out 34 and get 1.3 to 1.1 mpg doing it. As far as the gas vs. diesel, on Lake Lanier, there ain't nowhere to go, so it really don't matter. A load of fuel will typically last me four to six weeks, now the 41 is a different story. Ya'll can fight this one out amungst ya'llselves, I'm VERY happy with MY boats.

Robert
Old 03-15-2004, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

The 400EC is a story unto itself. It is a straight inboard with a good power to weight ratio. The weight is centered up better in the hull also. And I'm always glad when I hear that somebody is hapy with their boat. That's the way it's sposed to be.

The Dancers are all Vee Drives and a comparable 400 Dancer absolutely does NOT perform like your Express with gas. Too much weight in the tail.

But I'll wager your fuel mileage is significantly worse than what you may think it is. In fact, I'll bet you a full pair of tanks (from empty) that at anything above 20mph, you can't do any better than 0.8mpg. And I pay off my bets when I'm wrong. (My honest estimate is that you get 0.70mpg at 25mph GPS).
Old 03-15-2004, 08:32 AM
Registered

http://www.boattest.com/test-results...e=&from_gi=Yes Cat diesel's

http://www.boattest.com/test-results...e=&from_gi=Yes 390 gas

I have to agree 1. is pretty strong mpg.
Mcollin: getting back to the 90-95% max rpm is a good cruising speed.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:43 AM
Registered

A couple things to consider. Check out this article:
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/searay_ba...re_bottoms.htm

As for the motors. I'm willing to bet that the 502s wont get that on plane any better than the 454s, so there's probanly only a couple mph difference. And I'll also bet the 340hp 454, peanut port motors will outlast the 502 by quite a bit.
Go fo the 454s.
And yes I've ridden on about a half dozen 400's with 454s on LOTO.
Gary
Gary
Old 03-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Registered

McCollinstn, will you help me buy my next Sea Ray? It sounds like you really know what you're talking about. I bought my last one in OK and brought it to NV because it had the proper equipment for me and had never been in salt. Big problem, Nancy says I have to keep the current boat thru this sulmmer...
Old 03-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Registered

Thanks mc,
I would love to have a 63 with BIG diesels and arnesson's. Saw one going to Key West back in '98 and man what a roostertail that sob threw. Name of the boat was "Bad Boys", pretty routy crew too. Ya'll have a nice day.

Robert
Old 03-15-2004, 01:03 PM
FWK

My brother in law has had a 370, 2 400's with gas motors. Just sold his 450 with 3126's which he loved but wanted to move up and is looking for a 460 hardtop. He said he would not go back to gas for his own boat. He does have a 04 380 for sale with 30 hours and extended warranties if your friend is interested. Someone could get a great deal on this boat.

Old 03-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Burt, when you're ready, I'll do what I can to help you.
And the main stuff you gotta be concerned about with equipment is the power package, whether it has the full dual (or triple) A/C's, and the hydraulic platforms and thrusters. Other than that, anything else can be easily added. Especially electronics. The $25k factory package can be added for $10k and a week of evenings. The TV's and DSS and stuff can be easily added, and integrated into the stereo, etc..

Don't get hung up on electronics. Choose a well maintained (and covered) boat (sun damage is fierce). For all of them over 35', salt isn't as much of an issue either, if the owner was attentive.

Make the wife happy and spend the summer taking the opportunity tolook at all the stuff that's out there.

In the 34-40' range, Regal and Cruisers make decent boats, too. Carver starts the cool ones at closer to 40'.

Tonto,
I've been on four or five 63/Arneson boats since 2000. Saw the same one at both the 2000 and 2002 Miami show, although it had been completely refitted inbetween. It was $575k in 2000, and $699k in 2002. Not sure what the story on that boat was, though, as it was 100% Awlgrip topsides - makes you wonder how hard its previous life had been...
Old 03-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Registered

We have been looking for a "Sport Yacht" for about 9 months now. Since I work for Caterpillar, we have been looking a boats equipped as such. Sea ray has a lot of product out there with diesels in them. Prices are not to bad, even with the diesel package. Low hour boats are not hard to find. Low hours on these engines is anything under 500. What is hard to find is a boat that has been cared for. Salt issues and chalking gel coat due to lack of maintenance are the biggest issues.

Just got back from a trip to Annapolis to look at a 43 Fairline. I was expecting a lot based on price and reputation. We were disappointed. It was a 1999 with 230 hours on the boat. It was in fairly rough shape with a substantial amount of stress cracking. I have not seen this level of cracking on any Sea ray, regardless of hours. I guess they are number 1 in the States for a reason.

I still think gas is a good option for the 380. I think the 410 would be marginal and anything larger would be unsatisfactory with anything but diesel, a Cat diesel

Great thread. Lots of good commentary

Quick Reply: Question on Big SeaRays....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.