Notices

Digital camera help!!

Old 03-13-2004, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

I've got 3.

I use my teeny tiny Sony DSC-U20 more than any others. It is TEENY, hangs around your neck or in your pocket, opens and starts one handed - is ready to shoot in 1 second (as long as you use no larger than a 64MB card, bigger than that slows the startup time). Takes great pix. No zoom, no Macro mode - just convenient size and great pix. They now have it as a DSC-U40 for $199 RETAIL (cheaper on the street by a long shot).

My Olympus with the 10x zoom takes the best pix of my 3. Larger camera and is a hassle on all-day trade show duty.

The Mavica is just a good 3.5" floppy workhorse. Not particularly small, not particularly wonderful pix, just a good dependable camera.

All my friends have digicams, but they always borrow my tiny SONY when they are going to Daytona, etc..
Old 03-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I have been looking at the fuji line. I guess I needed some reassurance.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:45 PM
Registered

Bought a Kodak DX6490 around Christmas. I have taken about 600 pics with it and love it! 10X optical zoom, 4 megapixel ($499). It all boils down to what do you want to do. If you want quick point and shoot do like Mcollinstn said and use the sony DSC-U20. If you want zoom action occasional bikini shot get a good optical zoom like gdfatha said. More than 3 megapixels is a waste unless you plan on blowing up and printing something larger than a 8 x 10. I take all of my pictures in 3 megapixel mode so I have more room on the card. I wanted a good zoom as we have kids in sports and I wanted to get in on some of the action.
If I can do this right, compare these two photo's. I took these on a recent trip off the cruise ship we were on in port. I noticed a boat docked that was sinking and took two photo's, one in normal mode and one zoomed in 10x. You tell me how cool this is.
Look for the sunken ship.
Attached Thumbnails Digital camera help!!-100_0594.jpg  
Old 03-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Registered

There it is!
Attached Thumbnails Digital camera help!!-100_0591.jpg  
Old 03-13-2004, 09:52 PM
Registered

I was very impressed with the reach this thing has.
This is a great site to do some research on also.
www.dpreview.com
Good luck, I just love getting this thing out, does unlimited movies also! I could not find another camera that would do that.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:00 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by SteveO
I was very impressed with the reach this thing has.
This is a great site to do some research on also.
www.dpreview.com
Good luck, I just love getting this thing out, does unlimited movies also! I could not find another camera that would do that.

BINGO STEVEO,, thats the place to go to make your decision, I just bought a A2 minolta ' large camera" and a Canon A70 portable camera,

of course the site has been around for 4 years
Im on my like 7th year of using Digital paid thousands for the first one and the prices have come down a lot

Last edited by wwwTOPDJcom; 03-13-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

SteveO, That looks to be the camera to look at more closely. Thanks for showing the two pics. The Kodak has awsome range. Thanks,
Old 03-14-2004, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WoW THanks Guys. I want 1 for all still pictures of things up close , but the occasional Boat races will be nice to have It for.

Do either have movie capability with sound?
Old 03-14-2004, 09:26 AM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

Now I have another question! Am I right, the kodak DX6490 doesn't have an upgradeable memory card? How many images can you get on internal card?
Old 03-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Registered

Do either have movie capability with sound?
Capo71,
The Kodak has movie capability with sound. What I like about this one was that it has an unlimited time for taking movies. Most cameras tell you have 30 sec. of video or something like that. I can take as long of a movie as I want only limited by the memory of the card. I have a 256mb card and I could do 14 minutes of continuos movie.

Am I right, the kodak DX6490 doesn't have an upgradeable memory card? How many images can you get on internal card?
Gizmo,
It has both. I think that the internal is 8mb. External is what ever you choose. It uses the secure digital cards which are much faster at writing pictures to the card. I have the 256mb card and I can take about 230 pictures in 3.2 megapixel mode.

Quick Reply: Digital camera help!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.