Notices

Chine Walk ?

Old 03-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came a little close to having some serious chine walking develop into a REAL problem with my 259 Checkmate w/ an HP500. We were out on a perfectly flat, clear day, sober as all hell, only boat on the lake with my friend driving and me giving a few "driving pointers". We were wide open, trimmed up and caught the only other cross wake on the lake that day (that neither of us saw coming). Next thing I knew, we had water up to the rub rail port, starboard, port, starboard, etc. and getting worse by the milisecond. Thank God, I was able to reach the key and kill the boat while my friend was frozen with the throttles wide open. A few more seconds, I seriously believe we would have hooked, possibly stuffed, certainly been ejected, and who knows where the boat would have gone. I have never taken operating a boat (especially at high speed) for granted again. I drive, keep a kill switch on, and I keep myself FOCUSED on what could be coming even on a perfectly clear day because you never know.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Outboard x HP + Hydrostream or 16' Checkmate = Chinewalk!!!
Old 03-16-2004, 08:51 AM
Registered

)

Speed is on the other side of the chine walk
someone who knows something about both Velocity rules
Old 03-16-2004, 09:52 AM
Registered

Chine walk alot of times is caused frome play in the out drive, when it starts to shimmy the hull reacts the same way, a good steering system will usually correct it, I ran a 24ft pantera at 90mph,and never had a problem
Old 03-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Firewalker

Chinewalk can be fixed buy driver input....... not using less trim and more power. A trolling motor does not cause chinewalk. All the offshore guys should learn to DRIVE the small stuff first. Try driving an Allison Craft at 100 + and you will have a new respect for the talent it requires.

RT

Old 03-16-2004, 10:13 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chinewalk is caused by several different things including balance, wetted surface vs. dry surface, speed, bottom design, water conditions, among others. Typically the wetted surface of the boat begins to dry out leaving not alot of bottom to balance on so then you have to drive it to balance it sometimes you notice people working the wheel in a boat a bit harder than usual this will take the chine out to a certain extent, also somebody made the mention earlier about the speed is on the other side of the chine walk. True comment in certain boats my opinion only is that the boat is chine walking while lifting up off the strakes to begin to run on the pad. I experienced this in a 22 Velocity one time and also in Hydrostreams. Best advice is to become one with your boat and learn how to drive it no 2 are alike. They all have different quirks.

Sean
Old 03-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Very well put, Sean!!

Someone asked earlier if twins "Chine Walk"

I remember a 29ft Powerquest (true V hull, without a Pad) with twin 454/Bravo's, that I drove once that "danced" kinda like "Chine walking" but it was more like the boat would fall to one side, then the other, then back on the drives, then agian to one side...and so on. I'm sure that you could remedy the problem with the use of tabs, but that boat only had the small Plastic "Cheesey" tabs that were not much help!! I wish I could have had more time in that boat to figure it out!!
Old 03-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Firewalker

In 99% a driver with talent. (read know how) can drive this out..... all pad boats will do it, and straig vee boats will do it to a lesser degree. Assuming the boat bottom is straight, and the steering tight, you do not need tabs.

Man I am blown away at the comments on chine walking, actually shocked. What do you guys think is going on in the cockpit of the really fast Vee boats?.

RT

Old 03-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My Bullet will do it when trimmed to the moon.....Not violent & you just have to drive it....
Old 03-16-2004, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Firewalker
In 99% a driver with talent. (read know how) can drive this out..... all pad boats will do it, and straig vee boats will do it to a lesser degree. Assuming the boat bottom is straight, and the steering tight, you do not need tabs.

Man I am blown away at the comments on chine walking, actually shocked. What do you guys think is going on in the cockpit of the really fast Vee boats?.

RT
What exactly are you Shocked about?? A couple of people asking questions??

Quick Reply: Chine Walk ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.