22.64%
Twin Yamaha 250 HPDI's in a CC
77.36%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Honest opinion needed - I/O or O/B?

Old 03-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go withthe obs. You would do well to consider the 4 strokes for what you are doing
Old 03-16-2004, 05:35 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

clamp ons
Old 03-16-2004, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by dockrocker
If you're planning to sell commercially, OB is the only way to go on a 28' CC. I'd definitely look at a 28' CC with O/B but would pass on an I/O in that kind of boat. My 2 cents...
I have to agree.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:16 AM
WickedWon

Default Workboats Use Yamaha's

One last consideration. when in really tight situations it's nice to be able to see exactly where the drives are pointing by looking at the powerheads. Also no hoses, exhaust componets, bellows, trim pumps, no winterizing.................I've had such good luck with Yamaha's that I take them completely for granted. I think the other stuff is closing the gap ( on dependability) but when it comes to real workboats, around the world, they all use the Yam's for a reason.

BTW I think for pure, no maintenance can't hurt'em durability I'd stick with the two strokes for now.

Old 03-16-2004, 06:58 AM
Registered

i/o's defeat the purpose of a center console for me. They take up to much room in the boat. especially in a 28'
Old 03-16-2004, 07:01 AM
Registered

I agree, O/B Yamaha's for sure. I own many Yamaha products, and I have to say they are bullet proof, and the fit and finish is second to none. Good luck Brian. Show us some pics when you are done.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 1,819 Likes on 711 Posts
Thumbs up my 2 cents

O/B's
lighter, easier to work on, don't take up valuable cockpit space, safety of two motors, ease of repowering in the future, I could go on
One of the biggest things that I'm surprised no one else has pointed out is manuvering??
On my 24' twin O/B I can't even imagine trying to manuver around dock on a single (I/O or O/B!). All it takes is a slight beam wind and your screwed!
Give me twins and I'll put on an exhibition!
Especially while towing or trying to hook to a tow.
Specific to the O/B's, jafo is correct.
The new ones coming out are the best we've ever seen. As far as technoligy and reputations I think the Yammi's shine the best and I'm a JohnRude man.
I would have bought two Yammis when I re-powered 6 yrs ago had it not been for their weight. The Yammis were 50 lbs heavier, per.
Forget the 4 stroke O/B's, they're all freagin pigs. If you read the fine print, reality is just starting to hit home for the people that bought them based on thinking they were the second coming.
A current direct injected 225 two stroke is around 500 - 550 lbs.
A four stroke of the same power is 600 - 650 lbs (X 2!)
None of the four strokes will hold a candle to the two in any comparrison except economy and that gap is narrowing.
Bombardiers current line of "E-Tech" motors do everything better than a four stroke including emissions, economy and oil consumption! Unfortunatley the V-6s look to be a year away.
A friend of mine in Fla got the chance to run a 33' Center Console with tripple 225 Honda four stokes and said the thing was a pig.
In the long term, wait till you start doing maintenance!
Just read an article about the Yammi four stroke that said after typical running for two years that the valve clearance needs checked. Dealer only, special shims involved and very expensive!
Twin direct injected 225s = 500 HP's, approx 400 ft.lbs torque, and a combined weight of 1100 - 1200lbs, scurity of two motors and ease of manuverability??
Easy choice.
Gary
Old 03-16-2004, 08:18 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I can personally attest to the pulling power of a pair of 250's. It all has to do with the gearing and props. Anyways, for a CC, I'd go with the clamp ons.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:22 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

This board never fails to amaze me. I'm sold on the Yamaha's - O/B. One thing important to me is dependability - manuverability and SPEED. Anybody know of a deal on the motors? Dealers? Thanks so much and I'll get some pics posted soon. Waxing the molds now! BH
Old 03-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Registered

Brian,

A good friend of mine is a dealer. His name is Chris Hyde. call him and tell him I told you to call. 518-399-2880.

Shane Mahieu

Quick Reply: Honest opinion needed - I/O or O/B?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.