Like Tree0Likes

Ft. Myers Race cancelled?

Old 03-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Registered

My Boats: was a 89" Formula 311-SR1

"Sharkey" this thread needed that........thank you.......
Old 03-20-2004, 12:34 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Formula Outlaw
"Sharkey" this thread needed that........thank you.......
Laughter is known heal...

Hopefully that will start the healing process....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Registered

My Boats: 30' Phantom

Speaking of chickens.......
Attached Thumbnails
Ft. Myers Race cancelled?-chick.jpg  
Old 03-22-2004, 12:54 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

Quote:
Originally posted by Formula Outlaw
I am not trying to be argumentative here however in some of the aspects of your above post:

Point # 1) . They have not done anything wrong yet .
The key word....is ..."yet".

Let me make it more simple...lots of people want nothing to do with the LLC......or any remnant. The simple fact that a "purchased" entity still exists means that the "purchaser" can dictate how it is run....for the length of the "contract" with APBA...... This is flawed in that it offers no real representation for anyone but the "owner"...... Ipso facto.....The LLC concept had its "chance"...failed...and does not deserve another "chance" simply because an old crony of the previous "owner" bought it......get it?

Quote:
Point # 2) I am under the impression that the LLC no longer exists.
Your impression is wrong....The first LLC is gone. It was replaced by another corporation (same original ownership)....It was sold and.... unfortunately...... still has claim to the APBA Offshore "rights".

Quote:
Point # 3) While remembering that the new APBA Offshore is a not for profit group,
What makes you say that....?... a quote from the owner? It is still an outside corporation that needs funds to survive...and must pay the APBA $50,000/year to lease the rights...... Where will those funds, and the salaries/expenses of the (unelected) officials and hundreds of thousands in racing costs come from....The sky?

Quote:
Point # 4) I agree with you. Is it not important to judge who has bought APBA by what his actions to date have been? Of course it is. He has aligned himself with the best out there.
He has attracted Steve David...... almost everybody else is a holdover from the previous group........ and either they:

1. Stood by silently while the previous owner ran roughshod over the sport.

Or

2. Gave behind the scenes encouragement to those actions.

Neither of the above makes them deservant of your support.

Quote:
I am not pro/anti any particular sanctioning body. It appears that the new APBA Offshore group is trying to demonstrate by action that they are serious about trying to turn this mess around. To arbitrarily not give them that chance is discrimination against them, plain and simple. I'm sorry, I just don't think that is right.
I believe...that somebody better start to act with a discriminating mind...... because this equal opportunity to try and re-invent the wheel B.S. is killing the sport. This is no time to promote more "touchy feely" agendas.

Let's try one more time.....clean sheet of paper.... get rid of all existing "deals", "owners", officials, "concepts", and the like. Set one goal.....unification..... and "discriminate" against everything else.

T2x
Old 03-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I hear ya loud and clear but isn't that like asking Burger King and McDonalds to unify in order to build a better burger for the good of the American public's health?

If the racers wanted unification they could force the issue by only attending certain events.

No doubt, 2004 will be an interesting race season.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Registered

T2X, you make a lot of solid points, no doubt about it. It seems however that your resentment of the old APBA-Offshore LLC. is making it impossible for you to give anyone except Mr. David more than the time of day. That is absolutely your right.

I would also suppose that to some degree I resent everyone who made such a mess of "offshore". I just think that Bob Bull deserves one legitimate shot at proving that what he says he's going to try to make happen, that he in fact does provide that effort. If he screws up then he'll ultimately pay the same price as others before him. If for no other reason he should be given that chance, because it is difficult to believe that the world of offshore racing could be any more screwed up than it is right now. And that's all I've got to say about this.

Last edited by Formula Outlaw; 03-23-2004 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Registered

In post # 126 I originally got the name incorrect. That has been edited. My apologies to Mr. David.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 24 Pantera

Quote:
Can it get worse? Just curious........in your opinion (which I respect greatly) at what point in time was the sport in its worst shape?
originally posted by Phantom1

Quote:
Probably during the time just prior to Gene Whipp's arrival, although right now is no walk in the park either. It is tough to compare because today we have the confluence of two very negatively impactful phenomena.
originally posted by T2X
Wasn't it under the control of APBA Detroit at this time?

Quote:
Eventually, the APBA needs to re-acquire the rights to Offshore...... and........ absent the current baggage and "ownership" issues........ proceed to redevelop and define Offshore racing on a National scale, with the cooperation and approval of its members...... and this will take a team builder/leader.
originally posted by T2X

With all due respect T2X, By your own admittance you say Offshore was at its worse just prior to the arrival of Gene Whip .Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't offshore controlled by APBA Detroit. Now you say they eventually need to re-aquire the rights to run it again. Why, so it can be as bad as it was before Gene Whip. Please Explain
This makes absolutely no sense to me.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:45 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 24 Pantera

Quote:
Let me make it more simple...lots of people want nothing to do with the LLC......or any remnant. The simple fact that a "purchased" entity still exists means that the "purchaser" can dictate how it is run....for the length of the "contract" with APBA...... This is flawed in that it offers no real representation for anyone but the "owner"...... Ipso facto.....The LLC concept had its "chance"...failed...and does not deserve another "chance" simply because an old crony of the previous "owner" bought it......get it?
In 2000, the LLC had, argueably, one of the best years offshore has seen in the history of the sport.
So why can't the new regime, with a little tweeking do the same? Trust me T2X, I may seem argumentative to you, but I am willing to listen to any and all ideas to make the sport better. As a relative newcomer (4years) to the sport I do not or will ever claim to be an expert, I am just trying to give you an idea of how I see things.
Incidentally, I don't have the #'s to back it up, but I would guess that more than half of the racers today have been in the sport for about the same time or even less and only have that experience to draw their conclusions.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Scott, that really wasn't fair. My understanding of OSS is that if you can bring 5 boats to run in your class, your invited to attend. 4 boats show up and you don't race.

Why all this bashing? Just go race where you wish and go have fun. Because if you (the racers) are not having fun at the events, why spend the money and risk your life?