Notices

Sonic 31ss and big water

Old 03-16-2004, 12:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sonic 31ss and big water

Looking at replacing the formula with possibly a Sonic 31ss. I would like some impute on how the Sonic 31ss handles rough water, ride quality.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:48 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Ride quality in any of the Sonics, 26' and up is very impressive for that particular size boat. (I have never been on a 22'.) I currently have a 26', and have been out in real 5-6' Chesapeake Bay waves and rollers, and while not saying I was overly comfortable, I am saying I felt safe, and not scared. All the Sonics feel as though they are at least 2-3 feet longer than they actually are when you put them to the test in bigger water. This is mainly due to their weight, which they are a bit heavier than other comparable sized boats, (not so after 2003 though, the new Infusion layup process reduced the weight, but do not let that discourage you from a 2002 or older), and their traditional deep V, with long strakes. The 31SS is a GREAT boat, and as a matter of fact, it is the best selling model of Sonic's lineup, past & present. If I did not have my heart set on a 37/38 foot boat, I would have traded up to a 31 some time ago. The 31SS will give you many features, amenities, and even the room you do not get on other manufacturer's 35 footers.

This post will probably get moved to the Sonic forum, or you can post there, and get even more information. There was also a side by side comparison to a 32 Fountain, 31 Cig, 312 Forumla, and 31 Sonic last year in Powerboat Magazine, (I believe those specifics to be correct), and the Sonic won hands down.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:14 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes the 31's are a nice sized boat and handle the ruff stuff well, I been looking at them. But since I dropped a load on the current boat , I will be waiting a few years.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:24 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love mine! What do you consider "Big" water??? Bigger is always better in rough water. I love my 31 but my buddies 36 kicks my a$$ in over 5' seas.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:28 AM
Registered

We just sold our 33' SS. It handles bigger water better than most other boats of the same size. The ride is great. It never "bangs" when it hits a wave. With the sharp V bottom it's really suited to open water boating.
We live on the Gulf coast and I never had to worry about water conditions, the Sonic would take just about anything the Gulf could dish out.

Last edited by throttleup; 03-16-2004 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:51 AM
Registered

All boats have their limitations! I stepped up to my 25 Checkmate to a '90 30SS. My first time out was in 5'+ chop. All I can say is we hit 67 mph on gps, skimming over the tops of the waves. I was truly impressed. Now, add a 1' or 2' to that chop and it is a drivers game. A bit more challenging. But if your concerned about going out in the morning worrying about a weather change during the day, you will have no problem getting home!
Old 03-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Registered

Thanks for the comments, keep em coming. I am moving up from a 272sr1 with a true 27 foot wetted surface I am sure Sonic is including the swim platform in there loa so I believe to only be gaining maybe two feet of hull. The weight however I think will make a huge difference. We like our Formula but we need a larger cabin and the pull out filler cushion is a nice feature on the weekends. Wife likes the idea of a full head and shower in a 31.

Dyno, same water as you just on the west side.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look at the bottom of a 31ss....It is not sharp at all
The keel is "rounded"...Not sure what year they started this,The older 31s are sharp. The bigger Sonics are still very sharp bottomed. I would think that would hurt ride & help speed
Old 03-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

the 31's like mine are a 23* deadrise the bigger ones are 25 (I think)
Old 03-16-2004, 10:07 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

I have a 02 31' with 496 mags runs 74 on GPS with 26labs on it and I've had no problem in going across the Chesapeake Bay when there were 5 footers, talk about a rush. A couple of my buddies worked at Off Shore and will tell you all day it's the best bang for the buck in rough water not to mention the size of the cabin. I also have two buddies that had 31's and traded up to 35's and said it was the worst thing they ever did so bigger not always better. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Sonic 31ss and big water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.