Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Question for Blower Motor Guys >

Question for Blower Motor Guys

Notices

Question for Blower Motor Guys

Old 03-16-2004, 09:12 PM
LPA2106

Default Question for Blower Motor Guys

....if you had to do it over again...would you go with blown engines and everything that goes with the decision or would you select a normally aspirated engine(s)...

....in oter words...are blown engines worth the expense and potential headaches? Or are they easier to work with than I have been led to believe and no more trouble than say a HP500 or HP 525??

Old 03-16-2004, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

I have twin 525 hawk blower motors in a Top Gun.
They run great, have to change the oil more often
than non blower motors. They idle at 700 & are very smooth. I'm very happy with the blower set up.

Would i do it again ? YES.

L.S.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Boost is your friend.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:34 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am ready to do it again . Just will be fuel injection on the 500 efis this time . I still like the roots style better but I am familiar with it more.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:07 AM
Registered

I'm on my 3rd blower motor. (no none of them blew up before)
Each motor has gotten stronger and bigger is all.

DAVE
Old 03-17-2004, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, blowers for me!
Due
Old 03-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Registered

In a minute. Ran 3 yrs on a Whippled 454 mag efi- flawless.

Now have a 575SCI which was in the used boat I bought. Dustin helped me squeeze this to 650 without an intercooler (no room to go up).

I just discussed with him yesterday a hybrid system and cam change for the 575 that will be efi and make 775/800 reliably.

While plenty do it and are happy, I would not run any "Performance" engine without the safeguards of modern efi/computer control/knocksensors etc. too much cool stuff going on behind the scenes to keep my investment safe and reliable.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:06 AM
WickedWon

Default Re: Question for Blower Motor Guys

Originally posted by LPA2106
....if you had to do it over again...would you go with blown engines and everything that goes with the decision or would you select a normally aspirated engine(s)...

....in oter words...are blown engines worth the expense and potential headaches? Or are they easier to work with than I have been led to believe and no more trouble than say a HP500 or HP 525??
This is silly, nobody ( who has experience) "wants" blowers they $UCK ! But if ya need #'s above 800 there are no "real" options, so whats your point ? PLEASE NO TURBINE WHAT IF'S ! I've looked into them thats a whole nother can a worms

Old 03-17-2004, 10:29 AM
Registered

Today's SC applications are better than ever before. EFI allows us to infinitely tune the engines to perfection. Never before could you build a reliable 1200HP 91 octane engine that actually idles and doesn't load up in the rough. Now, we can do them easily, and are working on a 1500. The life expectancy is also greatly increased, as we will get 100+ hrs, before freshening, and this is with a hydraulic roller camshaft. Definitely go SC.

Steve
Old 03-17-2004, 10:54 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A PROPERLY set up blower engine will give you as good of reliability as a nat asp engine. But remember there is the general maintenance issue here, as with any N/A engine.
Knowing what I know now about the S/C engs, I would have a hard time settling for a nat/asp setup. My advise to you is that you should talk to some people that have blower engs, and run them day after day, week after week, and just follow a regular maintenence schedule, and are on the water ALL the time.
Don't listen to the guys that limp in on one engine and ***** about how unreliable their blower engs are. Oviously..... they're listening to the WRONG people, otherwize they'd be in the water and not in the shop.

We have alot of "seasoned" veterans here with S/C engs and I'm sure you'll get some good advise. All you have to do is follow the right path.
www.chicagopowerboat.com

Quick Reply: Question for Blower Motor Guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.