Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Miami news (gas plant explosion) >

Miami news (gas plant explosion)

Notices

Miami news (gas plant explosion)

Old 03-17-2004, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miami news (gas plant explosion)

Anyone in the Miami area see anything on the news about and industrial gas plant explosion?
This is the business that Im in and would like to confirm.
Airgas Miami
Old 03-17-2004, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. They are our welding supplier.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard it on the radio, but didnt get the details, I'll keep an eye(or ear) on it, and try to keep this updated.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Registered

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/C37915/
Old 03-17-2004, 10:46 AM
Registered

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/C37919/
Old 03-17-2004, 10:52 AM
Registered

Thanks for the links
I these type situations the media is good for confirming the incident........other than that there will be little factual or usful information from them.

"I was frightened about even starting my car. It could start an explosion,'' she said.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:30 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

Default yup

My office is a few blocks away, at 9:18 I heard a tremendous explosion, as I was on the phone in my office at the time. I went outside and saw and heard multiple explosions for the next 15-20 minutes. The flames were about 150ft high at one point. 15 Fire Divisions responded, but were held back by their Commanders. Only one engine was allowed to spray the area, they were worried about mixed gasses being diluted. I linked in direct with an NBC6 copter and watched the live feed from my office computer screen. Area still under evac as of this minute.

My Gen Mgr's friend is the branch manager of that facility and he reports no deaths and no injuries. BIG mess though. Lot's of business's evacuated for a square mile. The rear of the facility borders the Doral Golf Course.

Jim

Last edited by BUIZILLA; 03-17-2004 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was frightened about even starting my car. It could start an explosion,'' she said
Back when I was in welding school we learned of an explosion several blocks away that shook our building.
It seems that a construction company working nearby had two tall acetylene tanks that appeared to be empty. The foreman told a grunt to load them in the back of his car, a station wagon, so he could return them to the supplier. As he drove acetone in the tanks dripped out and flooded the floor area with explosive gasses. The guy stopped for coffee and when he restarted the car it exploded destroying the car and the coffee shop.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Iggy
Back when I was in welding school we learned of an explosion several blocks away that shook our building.
It seems that a construction company working nearby had two tall acetylene tanks that appeared to be empty. The foreman told a grunt to load them in the back of his car, a station wagon, so he could return them to the supplier. As he drove acetone in the tanks dripped out and flooded the floor area with explosive gasses. The guy stopped for coffee and when he restarted the car it exploded destroying the car and the coffee shop.
2 Basics when handling compressed gases
1. cylinders should always be treated as full. Just because the usefull product is depleted (no fuel to run his torch) the cylinder has product in it, there is no such thing as an empty cylinder unless it is in the assembly process with no valve.
2. Never under any circumstances put a cylinder in a confined space. They should be stored and transported in a well ventilated area.

Now I dont expect everyone to know or understand compressed gases unless you work with these type of meterials, then you should take the time to know.
My offense is with the reporters and media that report these incidents and sensationalize them. It doesnt suprise me at all but I still think they should be a bit more responsible. What else is new.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Registered

One more
The above rules apply to BBQ tanks.
A 20lb propane cylinder should NEVER be put inside of a car trunk and should NEVER be left in the car longer then it takes to drive to and from your gas supplier.

Quick Reply: Miami news (gas plant explosion)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.