Notices

Fisherman's Salute

Old 03-18-2004, 02:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fisherman's Salute

Have noticed a strange phenomenon here on Lake Erie over the past few years. When navigating through the dense fleet of fishing vessels constantly anchored along a direct course from the Toledo Harbor Light to Put-In-Bay, the fishermen have a traditional hand signal to show the performance boaters how many fish they have caught so far. The interesting thing is that they have all only caught one fish!

These guys will go out in 16 foot boats during small craft advisories with 5-6 foot seas and flip you off for going by with a 2-3 foot wake! Always hope my wake doesn't cause them to spill their last beer!
Old 03-18-2004, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the winter, these are the same idiots that have to be pulled off the broken ice floes by the Coasties.

"Seein' how it wuz 55 degrees today, I thought it would be a great day to go ice fishin'. "
Old 03-18-2004, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They beleive they have the right of way but do not understand that applies only to commerical fishing vessels.

Passengers in my boat are always impressed with the number of fisherman I know. They see them waving at me when we pass them at 70-100+ mph.

The ones that sit in the channels are the worst. They act like they rented that spot of water for the weekend.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I like the look on the faces of the guys with the high dollar bass boats that aren't used to being outrun by a pleasure boat.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:54 AM
Registered

I've noticed the same thing. Before the last two years I use to go out every weekend the wind was favorable in my 19ft open bow boat to go fishing. When your out there you'll have cabin cruisers and charter boats plowing through the water creating huge wakes right next to you and nobody seems to care (it's just part of fishing on the lake ) But as soon as they see a performance boat cruising buy on plane 150 feet out they get pissed off and give the 'salute'. Seems like it has more to do with the style of boat than the wake
Old 03-18-2004, 07:13 AM
Registered

Yeah, I love the *******s that sit in the middle of the channel in their bassboat, then look at you like "WTF are you doing here?" when you try to get where you're going. Then the motor out of the way with the little .5 hp electric trolling motor. Idiots...
Old 03-18-2004, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are idiots everywhere. I see the same azzholes almost every weekend, tied up to channel marker buoys fishing, and they simply can't understand why others don't want to go around them.....IT'S A CHANNEL, JACKAZZ!

Then they salute with the typical number #1 like everyone else is in the wrong. Fukk 'em.