Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Will OSO put Performance Magazines out of business? >

Will OSO put Performance Magazines out of business?

Notices

Will OSO put Performance Magazines out of business?

Old 11-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Will OSO put Performance Magazines out of business?

I've let subscriptions expire on two high performance boating magazines I used to subscribe to. OSO offers everything the magazines do and much more. Has anyone else let their subscriptions expire due to OSO?
I 'm especially interested in Offshore Racing, OSO has a racer forum where I can get all the news gossip rumors, and disagreements. If I want to view photos from any race, OSO has a Photo section that I can view hundreds of race photos. The magazines I use to get are limited to a few photos.
If I have any 'Tech" questions, I can post the questions on OSO and get advice from multiple sources. The magazines I got would have a "letter to the editor" answered by the same "tech" editor each month.
Will OSO put these mags out of business???
Old 11-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure about putting them out of business, but I'm certain that its putting a big dent into subscriber numbers. There's nothing you can't find here; You can search instantly and get results rather than having to sort through years of magazines, the tech resources here are the best out there, virtually all the participants in racing and poker run circuits are here, the pictures here are incredible and usually start to appear the day of an event, etc, etc. I don't think I'll be renewing either the next time around.

I guess the internet as a whole is hurting periodical print media, though...
Old 11-24-2003, 10:35 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Eventually I am going to say that all writen media is going to shift to the internet. The costs would drop substantially as there is no more printing cost, and no shipping costs. The can get the info to the customer in a much more timely manner. The technology is almost there but not quite. My thinking is as soon as high speed internet becomes a little more common and high quality printers become more common we are going to see mags start to switch over. Will OSO replace them....I doubt it but ya never know when OSO could change their focus.

Jon
Old 11-24-2003, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The short answer is "MAYBE", if they wanted to.
However, it would take a quality plan, and a substantial investment in labor cost.

About the only thing Powerboat has that this site doesn't today is boat tests and some written coverage of races, events, etc.
Those things could be easily (although not cheaply!) added here.

But, we still need something to read while on the crapper.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

[i]

But, we still need something to read while on the crapper.
[/B]

That is what lap tops are for!
Old 11-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive actually subscribed to more since i found oso. I love the board, but I'm on a train 3 hrs each day, and there's no internet on the train.

You have to remember too, that not everyone is online. People like us get online, and it becomes such an everyday thing, that we kinda assume EVERYONE is online. Thats just not the case.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:44 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

I enjoy both.

Personally I subscribe to more than just the performance boat magazines. I like Trailer Boats, Motor Boating and the Yacht Magazines.

If it is boats I love it!
Old 11-24-2003, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

I subscribe to all the perf. boating magazines and probably will continue to even with OSO.
The only magazine that I'm disappointed in is Extreme Boats. After their intro., on OSO, I was anxious to get my 1st issue. They have been great, until the last issue. They devoted approx. 8-10 full color pages to 1 young lady, "extreme drinks" and "extreme Harley's". Don't get me wrong, I like to look at beautiful young girls as much as the next guy, but 4-5 pages devoted to the SAME girl, in a perf. "boating" magazine---please. The other 2 topics have no place in a boating magazine. If they continue with that type of format, you can rest assured that I will not renew my subscription.
Sorry about the rant.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:09 PM
mirageman

Until the point I have an internet terminal at the toilet, I will still require my Powerboat Magazine next to the can!

Old 11-24-2003, 01:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

ditto on the bathroom - haha - BH

Quick Reply: Will OSO put Performance Magazines out of business?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.