Notices

CG - Apache 41 / Cig 42

Old 03-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG - Apache 41 / Cig 42

I'm building a new dock and boat lift and, thinking ahead, trying to determine if I will have enough slip length in front of my lift to hold a 41 Apache or a 42 Cig. How the boat is positioned on the lift will determine if it works or not.

The question I have is does anyone know the approximate distance from the transom to the center of gravity on either of these boats, assuming a pleasure boat setup with a side-by-side engine configuration?
Old 03-23-2004, 09:18 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

No clue

But I like your taste in boats!
Old 03-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: CG - Apache 41 / Cig 42

Originally posted by dawezel
I'm building a new dock and boat lift and, thinking ahead, trying to determine if I will have enough slip length in front of my lift to hold a 41 Apache or a 42 Cig. How the boat is positioned on the lift will determine if it works or not.

The question I have is does anyone know the approximate distance from the transom to the center of gravity on either of these boats, assuming a pleasure boat setup with a side-by-side engine configuration?

Dawezel,

From a manufacturer's point of view, the Apache 41, pleasure version, is approximately 16' from the propshaft nut forward. The center of gravity is typically measured from the tip of the outdrive shaft. You may contact me if you have any additional questions. Good luck.

Mark McManus
Apache Powerboats

Last edited by McManus Apache; 03-23-2004 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:09 AM
WickedWon

Default WOW !

The CG on my 41' full staggered Saber is 8'- 6" with all four fuel tanks full !

Old 03-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wicked Won,

How did you measure your CG? Do you have to use a sling at a boatyard or is there some "backyard" way of doing it that the average person can do in their driveway? I have a 38 that I want to measure.

Thx
Old 03-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Registered

WickedWon:

That's a huge difference from what Mark's estimate (16 ft on the Apache 41). With the Saber 41 being the same design as the 41 Apache, I would think the CG would be similar with a side-by-side and even farther forward on your boat with the staggered config? Do you have a different fuel tank configuration than the Apache?

-dawezel
Old 03-23-2004, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think Mark would know if anyone, but 16' sounds really far forward. If you think about the design of these boats, all the weight is in the back... to have the CG 40% forward from the transom doesn't add up.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:30 AM
WickedWon

I have no fuel forward of the dash bulkhead. Mark has just made a mistake. Just think how long the forks would have to be at the local rack and store As a rule of thumb look at the location of the center axle on a Myco trailer, the CG will be about two feet forward for tongue weight. On my lift I use 14' bunks and keep the transom close to flush with the aft end of the bunks. My boat weighs about 2000lbs less than an Apache and the CG is farther aft by a foot or two.

Old 03-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Registered

It all depends on fuel tank config(and how much fuel in said tanks), cabin setup and lay-up. The difference between a 41 race apache and 41 pleasure apache were CG is concerned is huge. Saber's are cored boats and are super light, alot less weight up in the nose. Remember a couple hundred pounds more weight way up in the nose of a boat goes a long way conteracting the weight of engines and drives(the old fulcrum physics thingy). Everglades could BARELY lift our 41 Apache raceboat up with there forklift. It was so tippy on the forks they started launching it at a ramp.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Registered

Judging from the current drawing I got from the dock builder, if I pull a 42 in all the way until the bow is about to hit the dock, I'll have 7-8 feet of boat hanging off the back of the lift, not including the drives. I'm worried that if the CG isn't somewhere relatively near the center of the lift, it's going to strain the lift and the boat, and could be ugly if a hurricane comes through.

Quick Reply: CG - Apache 41 / Cig 42

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.