Thinking about a trip to So Cal/Catalina >

Thinking about a trip to So Cal/Catalina

Notices

Thinking about a trip to So Cal/Catalina

Old 03-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a trip to So Cal/Catalina

Thinking about tugging my 26' T'bred to So Cal for a short vacation. Since most of the trip will be tied up driving to the coast from Austin, I'd like to plan and make the best of it.

Any advice for planning a trip to Catalina? How big of a deal would it be to make the trip to the island in a 26' single engine boat?

How hard is it to get accommodations on the island? For that matter, how about someplace to stage the boat/trailer for a day or two just prior and/or after the trip?

Are there folks making that trip often enough to perhaps hook up with a few and go together?

Any other destinations that would be fun to plan while out there?
Old 03-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

JohnJan,
I used to go to Catalina alot from Dana Point and Oceanside in my 27' Warlock. You willl be fine in your boat. Long Beach Harbor is like 15-20 miles south of L.A. I would suggest going from Long Beach Harbor where it's approx. 26 miles to Catalina. The Catalina ferry goes back and forth on this route, so there is boat traffic and it's safer.
When you get to Catalina, you need a radio to call the Harbor Patrol and they come over and give you a pass to moore your boat (no docks) Then you have to call the water taxi to come drop you off at the main pier to go onto the Island. Sorry, but I don't remember the channels for the Harbor Patrol and Water taxi.
Go to www.catalina.com for alot of info on Catalina Island. I usually stay at the Metropole Hotel. It is very nice. There is some shopping and restaurants and bars there to keep you occupied.
Most of the Island has golf carts for transportation--there are very few cars there. You can rent a golf cart for approx. $90.00 for 3 hours to get around and see the different areas. For the restaurants and bars, you can walk eveywhere.
Good luck

Last edited by Semper Fi; 03-23-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Default Re: Thinking about a trip to So Cal/Catalina

Originally posted by JohnJan
... For that matter, how about someplace to stage the boat/trailer for a day or two just prior and/or after the trip?

Are there folks making that trip often enough to perhaps hook up with a few and go together?

Any other destinations that would be fun to plan while out there?
John,

I'd reccomend launching from Newport Dunes in Newport Beach. You can leave your boat there as long as you need to with 24 hour security patroling. They have a nice ramp and fresh water cleanup. And while in Newport Harbor, you will more than likely run into a few(whole bunch) SCOPE boaters. Also in the harbor there are numerous places to dock and eat/hangout. Maybe stay at the Hyatt Newporter across the street.

Personally, I would make Catalina a day trip (gets more running time). Go over early, around 9:00, and kick around for a few hours (not much to do but eat and drink) and head back around 1:00-2:00 to finish the day at the Cannery, Woody's or Hooters in Newport.

Check the SCOPE calander or message board (www.scopeinfo.com) to see if anything is happening and the guys on the Hot Boat message board are always scheduling runs over.

And don't forget to schedule one weekend, on the way out or back, to stop in Havasu. You won't regret it.
G

Last edited by cigarette1; 03-23-2004 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Registered

JohnJan, you will definately want to call ahead for hotel reservations, and contact the harbor master regarding moorings, unfortunately it is a first come first serve bassis, so you could book a hotel, and end up getting over there with no where to tie up???

I would recommend launching your boat in Long Beach at the Davies launch ramp, located off Second Street and Marina drive...just off Pacific Coast Hwy. they have 2 and 3 day time limits for parking, we have done some overnight trips to the Island and never had any issues with leaving the truck at the ramp there, it is well lit and patrolled by the Long Beach Marine Patrol, the area is technically called Belmont Shore/ Los Alamitos Bay.

For the trip over, I would say it would be best to head over in the early morning, no later than 10am, in a 26ftr the swells can get a little nasty?? It all depends on the weather and time of day and year??? Same thing when you make the trip back

Keep an eye out on the SCOPE website, we sometimes do lunch runs to the Island and you are more than welcome to join us, also if you wanted you could maybe pick the dates you are planning and start a thread on the SCOPE message board to get a group together to head over.

FYI, @ about 50-60mph it takes about 25-35min to get over.

I hope this helps

Jimbo
Old 03-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Registered

Default Thanks Guys

Is there any time of the year when the weather is more predictable than others? Typical patterns of smooth water, inshore/offshore breezes?
Old 03-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Registered

Default Re: Re: Thinking about a trip to So Cal/Catalina

Originally posted by cigarette1
John,

I'd reccomend launching from Newport Dunes in Newport Beach. is happening and the guys on the Hot Boat message board are always scheduling runs over.

Gary,
Just great, go against my reccomendation.
I need to lookup your address and pay you a visit!!
Old 03-23-2004, 02:09 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Aw G .... your reccomendation was excellent ... I just thought he could use some options.

Please do pay a visit ... just bring the PP with you, I want a ride.

G

Old 03-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with "The Dunes". Its like a cheep country club for boaters. Beaches for the kids, Back Bay Cafe for after boating Adult Beverages. Hooters for when the wife stays behind. As for Catalina, if you are going over during a marathon or any other athletic event, take Jimbo! Big Health guy. Where is that pic????
Old 03-23-2004, 02:28 PM
Registered

Originally posted by cigarette1
Aw G .... your reccomendation was excellent ... I just thought he could use some options.

Please do pay a visit ... just bring the PP with you, I want a ride.

G

Okay, I can do that, but you gotta give me a ride in the Cig!!
Old 03-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Originally posted by Semper Fi
Okay, I can do that, but you gotta give me a ride in the Cig!!
G ... that goes without saying

G

Quick Reply: Thinking about a trip to So Cal/Catalina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.