Notices

TEC Grills

Old 03-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TEC Grills

I just bought this expensive high tech barbeque grill. It cooks with infrared heat rather than radiant heat. However, I can't get the knack of cooking on it. It cooks steaks so fast, it burns the outside and leaves the inside raw. When I leave on it for a while it burns the outside more and the inside only gets a little more done. This is a real puzzle. Does anybody have one of these high TEC grills... and have you figured out how to cook on it? If so, what is the trick? I am going nuts.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: TEC Grills

Originally posted by Spectre Man
If so, what is the trick? I am going nuts.
Natural Gas or Propane!!!!! Go Old School!!!

It sounds like your using to much heat, try cooking on a much lower setting. If you have the model with the glass over the top of the burners which conducts the radiant heat, is it mounted in the right location. The glass being to high would cause exterior searing. Either the food is too close to the heat source, or the heat is too hot. Radiant or infrared heat is generally alot more evenly distributed within a BBQ or Oven, and should cook much more even then conventional types of cooking equipment. It is the same idea as a convection oven. While cooking with a convection oven you would normally cook 25 degrees cooler temps and for 15% less time. It least they are burning evenly!!!!!!!!!!

3DO \ Jeff

Last edited by Three Days Only; 03-22-2004 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:31 PM
Registered

Default Re: TEC Grills

Originally posted by Spectre Man
I just bought this expensive high tech barbeque grill. It cooks with infrared heat rather than radiant heat. However, I can't get the knack of cooking on it. It cooks steaks so fast, it burns the outside and leaves the inside raw. When I leave on it for a while it burns the outside more and the inside only gets a little more done. This is a real puzzle. Does anybody have one of these high TEC grills... and have you figured out how to cook on it? If so, what is the trick? I am going nuts.
So what`s the problem? Sounds like a foolproof grill to me.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I worked with a company in South Carolina that was one of the first distributors of the TEC Grill. I've cooked on one for over 8 years- - they're the best! The trick is to sear the meat on both sides to seal in the juices (at high heat for about 3-4 min. on each side). Then lower the heat setting to approx. medium to finish cooking . timing is more critical on these grills due to the intense heat they produce - - but once you get the hang of it you'll turn out some of the best steaks ever!! The infrared system is the same as used in commercial cookers in restaurants.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I am still using a gas grill ....
Attached Thumbnails TEC Grills-redneck-gas-grill.jpg  
Old 03-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Registered

I am a Tec grill dealer and personally use one at home and have a portable for my boat. You must cook with the lid open as this keeps your food from drying out. Other grills dont get hot enough to cook with the lid open and with the lid closed the dry atmosphere around the food pulls all the moisture out of your food. That is why normal bbq chicken shrinks and curls up at the edges on a typical home grill.

Simply get it real hot, sear on high for thirty to sixty seconds, then back off the heat until done. I would highly recommend a digital thermometer like a Polder so that you dont have to quess the internal temp. I can offer you one for twenty two bucks plus shipping.

It may take a bit of practice on using the TEC but once you get the hang of it, you wont go back to standard grills. If any OSO person needs grill deal or advice feel free to private.

I will be in Costa Rica Thursday 3/25 thru Monday so dont get mad if I dont reply quickly.

Andy Buzz
Buzz-Off Alarm Systems
Maximum Home Entertainment Systems
Old 03-24-2004, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your help Andy. We used to have a Ducane... and the Rotisserie option was fabulous because it had the burner at the rear as well as the bottom. We basted the chicken with butter as it turned on the spit. It was all too good! TEC says that you should not baste the chicken with butter etc. because it might spill on the ceramic heating element - causing damage to the element. They say just cook 13 minutes/lb. at medium. Do you have any suggestions here?

Oddly enough we have a Polder thermometer, but thanks for the offer.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:42 PM
Registered

I baste with Olive oil and Rosemary. You cant drip lots of junk into the burner but if you do, when you are done cooking, run on high for five minutes to clean the grill.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Heres my grilling tip that might help. I love ribeyes. I take a nice ribeye and put it in a plastic zip lock bag. Fill your sink with hot water and sink the steak. If its frozen, leave it in until its thaw. Either way, you want to leave it in the hot water (tap water hot) until the meat is warmed through. I then rub a little olive oil on each side and I like a little blackening seasoning, fresh garlic and butter. I put my warmed steaks on my propane grill and close the lid. For a nice thick 3/4" or so steak cook each side 5 minutes lid down. Because the center is already warm, you will get it to medium rare without drying out and burning the outside. It will flare especially because of the olive oil but locks in the juice. I like mine a little charred on the outside and medium rare. They will be as juicy as any steak you have ever had because you haven't cooked the moisture out of it. Everyone I have cooked a steak for says it is the best steak they have ever had. Works great with other meats also.

Do we need a grilling forum?

Old 03-25-2004, 06:07 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Mr. Demeanor

Do we need a grilling forum?

I think so....I'm HUNGRY

Quick Reply: TEC Grills

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.