Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Brand new thread on new STEPS >

Brand new thread on new STEPS

Notices

Brand new thread on new STEPS

Old 03-26-2004, 08:44 PM
Fightclub

Originally posted by LPA2106
...I will go through re-hab...call it the "12 STEP" program...

..I really don't know why stepped hulls fascinate me..and I have done several factory tours as I travel on business a lot and nobody obviously ever talks shop...quick tour...t-shirt and out the door...I actually learned the most while at a four-winns plant a few years back...got to roll the resin and get my hands into it...

....would be great to have in water boat shows with those individuals "prequalified" to test run several boats...

....I did have a ride in Lake Michigan today in a non-stepped 38TG with "Hawk" engines" and I must agree that the boat is well behaved at all speeds...you can ram it into turns....it's a great boat..not for sale..he got it from Pier 33 I think he said...he would never give it up..I have never been in a boat so solid and
it offers a big margin for driver error...

next week my buddie in Bay City is gonna get his 10 meter out...and go out for a ride ...it's got Whipple charged 502's I think....

...one ride is worth a thousand "threads" but you guys here know your boats...that's for sure...will be interesting to try this Fountain...90+

I went out on a few Scarabs and thought they were ok...I think the fun in buying a boat is in the chase..to a point of course..

...and if I am on anything it's just resin fumes...

take care!

LPA2106

You went out on Lake Michigan today? Good for you, did you run wide open? Ice could be an issue this time of year be careful a few minutes in that water and your a statistic.

fightclub

Old 03-26-2004, 08:53 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....I have a degree in engineering...med practice...and you guys got me on your sh#t list...know hydrothermodynamics to the tune of a PhD....thanks~

...it's lights and siren time

Just another engineer with a above average IQ. They all seem to speak some secret language that average people don't quite understand. LOL
Old 03-26-2004, 08:56 PM
LPA2106

...it was a chilling ride but no ice....and yea..it was my first time in that lake and man I was glad I was in a Cig....it is big..sturdy and gives you a "safe" feeling...like you are "in the boat" and a feeling of security...this fellow said not to plunk down a dime till getting behind the helm of a 41' Apache...he said he did once and it is something you buy and keep for life...he loves his Cig though and will not even consider anything else...he has been in Lake Superior on a pretty rough day when everybody was at shore....so I am taking his advice and gonna check out a few Apaches...he rode in several Formulas and Fountains and really likes them a lot....but he boats in Michgan and Superior and if the wind whips up his 38TG can really cut through it ...and the boat gets on top of crests nicely too....I boat a lot mostly in ST Clair and Cigs and Apaches are few and far bewteen...and I never thought I would be looking nationally for a boat...

Old 03-26-2004, 09:02 PM
Fightclub

What port did you go out of?

Old 03-26-2004, 09:02 PM
LPA2106

....most of the best designs of the best of engineers were ultimately a result of trial and error...and lots of errors...and I talked to a guy who has a 38' Formula without steps and he has pushed it to the max....and not even close to a spin out...so I have to eat crow...I can see where Formula wants to be a bit more conservative...they have a "tried and true" product....and I have to admit fantastic quality period...

....you know when all is said and done...and I will have to admit I am getting up on the learning curve now pretty good....I will probably be in a Cig or Apache...

...I like the Fountains a lot....and they are fantastic deals...but once in a 38'TG and like I say...it's a different level of powerboat

I talked to a rep at Sterling as well...an invite to come and tour...nice folks to be sure....what do the engineers I know who know of Sterling think? They think they sweat the details and have a great reputation in many different applications...

why the change of heart? I love hard fast turns...

Last edited by LPA2106; 03-26-2004 at 09:06 PM.

Old 03-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Fightclub

??????

LPA2106.

What Port did you go out of today on Lake Michigan?

Old 03-26-2004, 09:28 PM
LPA2106

Morrison Channel...St.Joseph, MI

ice threat was low according to marina workers... here is Lake Michigan average ice coverage. This was for 1995...this year less...
Attached Thumbnails Brand new thread on new STEPS-mi95_png.jpg  

Last edited by LPA2106; 03-26-2004 at 09:44 PM.

Old 03-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have to ask myself......I am a new guy to offshore boating and this is the response I get..... I am not sure I would comeback for more.

I think I said that in one of the threads that LPA2106 started after getting lambasted.

We sure are a friendly bunch aren't we !!!
Old 03-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....you know when all is said and done...I will probably be in a Cig or Apache...I like the Fountains a lot...but once in a 38'TG and like I say...it's a different level of powerboat

hey you better hope Reggie does not read this thread or you will get the AXE!

Rag's
Old 03-26-2004, 10:08 PM
Fightclub

Morrison Channel...St.Joseph, MI

ice threat was low according to marina workers... here is Lake Michigan average ice coverage. This was for 1995...this year less...

LPA2106...

You didn't have to give me the chart for the ice cover I was just curious where you went out. I am on the east coast of MI and we are going to be ready soon.

Good for you, hope you had a great ride.
Attached Thumbnails Brand new thread on new STEPS-map-michigan.gif  

Quick Reply: Brand new thread on new STEPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.