Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lake Erie waterfront property owners. >

Lake Erie waterfront property owners.

Notices
View Poll Results: should the state take private waterfront property for public use?
That is unconstitutional.
58.62%
Yes we should be able to use all beaches and land around the Lake.
3.45%
Alan4 is a putz.
37.93%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Lake Erie waterfront property owners.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was the Cuyahoga river not the lake but, yes its gotten better.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:46 AM
ursus

Lake Erie , all the great lakes for that matter, to the high water mark were originally owned by the crown and were very specifically protected from being deeded into private hands. Of course crown land became federal land circa 1776 but if you have a deed that says your property line is past the high water mark of lake erie , it is wrong, there are no reparian rights on the great lakes, it was written/registered by some previous local government that had not a right to do so. The new law is basically designed to correct this.

The Problem is it has not been done correctly for the last 200 years by many jurisdictions which took it upon them selves incorrectly to allow deeds to be registered that used the low water mark as the property lines.

A lot of this is occuring now because water levels are low and so land owners want to "own" the new beech which has been temporarily uncovered in the last 5 years in front of their property.

As for your doc since water levels are at the lows currently It must extend out into the lake past the low water mark and it is already on a public water way, do you currently have permission for it ?. Folks won't be able to sit on your lawn, unless its below the hi water mark in which case in a couple years when the lake level rises as it does cyclically it won't be lawn anymore.

As for the fuss, we own a dozen acres of water front on Lake Huron and yes probably 2-3 times a summer a stranger walks by while hikeing down the beech, not counting the 3-4 neighbours who like myself walk it daily, usually I wave at them.

If you own a few hundred feet of lakefront between 2 public beaches you are going to have traffic and may have a problem. If on the other hand you own a few hundred feet in the middle of a couple dozen other lots of a few hundred feet then maybe once or twice a year some one will stroll by while they are walking a couple miles down the shoreline, You can either choose to wave at them or take an extra blood preasure pill, your choice.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Registered

Ursus: thanks for the good info. We have an odd situation though being in a harbour(bay) we are deeded land extending into the water so the dock space is ours.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:06 AM
ursus

Yes harbours/rivers are different, sorry I was assuming you were shoreline

Old 03-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

all lake front property in Pa is open to the public
Old 03-26-2004, 07:15 PM
Registered

It already is public to the high water line. Always has been, what are they trying to do now? I thought it was the other way around, they are trying to pass a law giving all that public land to the waterfront owners?
Old 03-26-2004, 08:21 PM
Registered

Opps I shoulda read Ursus thread first. Thats what I thought too.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Fightclub

Originally posted by ursus
Lake Erie , all the great lakes for that matter, to the high water mark were originally owned by the crown and were very specifically protected from being deeded into private hands. Of course crown land became federal land circa 1776 but if you have a deed that says your property line is past the high water mark of lake erie , it is wrong, there are no reparian rights on the great lakes, it was written/registered by some previous local government that had not a right to do so. The new law is basically designed to correct this.

The Problem is it has not been done correctly for the last 200 years by many jurisdictions which took it upon them selves incorrectly to allow deeds to be registered that used the low water mark as the property lines.

A lot of this is occuring now because water levels are low and so land owners want to "own" the new beech which has been temporarily uncovered in the last 5 years in front of their property.

As for your doc since water levels are at the lows currently It must extend out into the lake past the low water mark and it is already on a public water way, do you currently have permission for it ?. Folks won't be able to sit on your lawn, unless its below the hi water mark in which case in a couple years when the lake level rises as it does cyclically it won't be lawn anymore.

As for the fuss, we own a dozen acres of water front on Lake Huron and yes probably 2-3 times a summer a stranger walks by while hikeing down the beech, not counting the 3-4 neighbours who like myself walk it daily, usually I wave at them.

If you own a few hundred feet of lakefront between 2 public beaches you are going to have traffic and may have a problem. If on the other hand you own a few hundred feet in the middle of a couple dozen other lots of a few hundred feet then maybe once or twice a year some one will stroll by while they are walking a couple miles down the shoreline, You can either choose to wave at them or take an extra blood preasure pill, your choice.

Ursus,

What a refreshing great outlook on life!

Good for you, many people could learn from your wisdom.

Brad

Old 03-28-2004, 12:55 AM
packinair

welp.. if that happens I am docking my boat infront of tizbads house.. hey!! is public property.. no more docking fees for me