Notices

Magnum resto update

Old 03-26-2004, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Magnum 27,

Where are you planning to race P Class??
The olny question I would ask is why Gel vs Paint??
And the other is; are you sure you want black??
I'm not being criticle, but black Gel will eventually fade, and boy will it be hot in the sun!
Other than that, the only thing I will add is; it looks like you have done a hell of a job so far!! Keep drinking the coffee, you only have a couple months to get ready!
Old 03-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by glassdave
very cool. what is the difference in the sport deck and the starfire deck. the 27 mag is my all time favorite boat.
Well Dave, the starfire deck is different in the back, instead of angling down, it goes straight back and gives a much higher engine compartment. Plus you don't have to worry as much about waves coming over the back end. There were very few starfires ever made and this is the newest deck for sure. It has been screwed together with stainless screws and Nylock nuts, then glassed together all the way around the inside and across the front and back of each bulkhead. They are new also. Then all of the screw heads and the seam was filled in to give it a water tight seal.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:23 PM
Registered

Originally posted by TomR
Magnum 27,

Where are you planning to race P Class??
The only question I would ask is why Gel vs Paint??
And the other is; are you sure you want black??
I'm not being critical, but black Gel will eventually fade, and boy will it be hot in the sun!
Other than that, the only thing I will add is; it looks like you have done a hell of a job so far!! Keep drinking the coffee, you only have a couple months to get ready!
We ha-vent decided on either SBI or APBA. It looks like next year is when we will for sure be ready.
Well, one reason is paint just will not hold up as well, it slows the boat down when the bottom is painted, it flakes off after a few years and it just doesn't look as good.
I know people think I am crazy for going Black, but this boat is only for riding, not anchoring and sun bathing. Plus the interior will be white and red. The hull was painted black when I bought it and for some reason I just could not see it looking any better any other color. Plus it will go with the theme of the boat. It will be the Pirate Racing team and there will be a skull and swards and the bow among other details that will just make it look really cool or should I say HOT. I admit it will be hot in the sun, but I am one of those who get's in and rides until I am ready to get out. I am not one to raft off to other boats and when the boat is not being ran, it will be inside out of the sun as much as possible. So as long as the boat is running it shouldn't be all that hot, it is when you stop for a while that will get ya.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Registered

I guess I will clairify that we will be racing in the southeast.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:26 PM
Registered

I also guess I should tell you racing guy's that you might remember the old hull, it was the old "DERANGED" racing teams Magnum hull. It needed a complete rebuild.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Registered

I also forgot that to the main reason for gell over paint is that if I have a problem somewhere, I can fix that area and not have to respray the hole side to fix it. I guess I just like working with gellcoat more and that is what I am most confortable with.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice, nice work. My dad had a 28 Magnum when I was a kid. It was called "Black Magic" and was black as well, so I am a believer! You're not talking about painting the bottom black as well as you?
Old 03-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

now that you mention it in pic 5 it does look like the deck is much taller in the back. and those are all the right reasons for going with gell. you are very correct about the running surface. paint will not do at all. also if i might make a sugestion, use Duratech gloss additive in the gell. it will make life much easier when you go to sand and buff. keep us posted.

by the way, one of my customers up here did the interior of his top gun in black. it was a simulated carbon fiber looking vinyl. sure it was hot as hell but was it ever badass looking. did the sun pad in this diamond plate padded vinyl too. the overall look was a bit to industrial for me but i hafta admit it was cool. i have pics somewhere

geeze mag27 . . you just posted 5 times in a row on your own thread try'n to get that post count up?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Registered

Talking

Originally posted by damdonzi
Nice, nice work. My dad had a 28 Magnum when I was a kid. It was called "Black Magic" and was black as well, so I am a believer! You're not talking about painting the bottom black as well as you?
Yes, bottom, sides and deck in black gell coat, No water line. 3 man high back bucket seats across the front set up for a navigator, throttle man, and driver all with intercoms. Gauges on the dash and across the back side of the fairing. It will definitely be different.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks nice 27, my 28 Aronow boat is coming along quite nice as well...

Quick Reply: Magnum resto update

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.