Notices

GPS Color vs. B&W

Old 03-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At some point I will also put a Garmin 2006C on Outlaw. Two friends have those in their boats and even in bright sunlight they are extremely easy to see. They are incredible good units. Unfortunately, not cheap....
Old 03-28-2004, 09:41 PM
Registered

Buck 183,
I have the 176 that you linked to. I have the black and white though. The sales guy told me don't bother with the color on that model, to hard to read in the sunlight. He said if you really want color spend the $ on the higher end ones and they are great. You just have to pay for good color.
Buy the biggest one that you can afford and fit on the dash black and white or color. Mine is near impossible to read while under way, a great unit just to small.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

SteveO,

Thanks for the feeback. Unfortunately that is all I can afford. Will it work for both the boat and truck?

Buck
Old 03-29-2004, 05:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Buck,

http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/handheldgps.html
Good outfit to deal with.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:19 AM
Registered

I recently switched from a b&w Garmin to a color Garmin 182C.

Once you get used to the colors you can read it very quickly. Looks fine in sunlight. Looks great at night.

Glad I spent the extra buck. A couple hundred dollars is pretty cheap piece of mind. I really need to know exactly where I am in the area I boat. Lots of shoaling, shallows, submerged rock piles.

With 900 dollars worth of props out back, (Don't get me started on drives) The 800 bucks was an easy decision.
Plus, it saves me fuel, because I can take "cuts" between shallows that I would have gone way around with my other GPS.

I'm really glad I went with the 182C.

This opinion was not solicited by Garmin!
Old 03-29-2004, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by buck183
Here is the one I'm leaning toward. Keep in mind I have NO clue what to look for. Does anyone see something in this unit that I should look out for? Can I use it for both land and water? I'm really clueless on this subject.

I would really like to be able to use it for the boat and truck if possible.

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet...rTarget=browse

Buck

Buck,
I was looking at the same unit and was worried about its readability in sunlight. I just purchased a Magellan FX 324 Color - its almost the same size as the Garmin - (a little bigger) and works great in sunlight. It has both an internal and external antenea. I found this on Amazon for $399.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:14 AM
Registered

Thanks for the feeback. Unfortunately that is all I can afford. Will it work for both the boat and truck?
Buck183
Yes. That is why I bought the 176. I like you was not ready to shell out $1,000 for a GPS plus finding room on the dash was another issue. I figured I would give this one a try and if I wanted more on the boat then this one would go in the car. I'm ready to put it in the car now I mounted it on the dash in the boat but it snaps out of the holder and goes wherever. Runs on batteries, hard wire or cigarette lighter. It's a very good compromise but as with boats......size matters
Old 03-29-2004, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had an older Garmin 220 that was very difficult to see in bright sunlight. Upgraded to 182c and is very easy to see in bright sunlight. Definately would go color ... it's easier to distinguish water from land on the display after a few beers!
Old 03-29-2004, 08:43 AM
Senior Member # 68
Charter Member

Anyone with any experience on Lowrance's X-19C GPS Sonar???
Thanks
Steve
Old 03-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Registered

I wish I had the room for the 2010c
This is what I am using in my Scarab and I love it, although a bit pricey at a bit over 2 grand.

Quick Reply: GPS Color vs. B&W

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.