Notices

The Gas Can Rant

Old 04-03-2004, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry The Gas Can Rant

As spring has officially arrived I have started to get the outdoor power equipment tuned up and ready. I remembered from last year that I needed to get another 1 gal. gas can as the trimmer and blower use different ratio mixes.

So off I go to Ace and they have some BS rig on the spout of their cans that requires 2 hands to pour. Looked like it would break after about 2 uses.

So off I go to Home Depot and all their cans had a spring loaded spout that requires two hands to operate. So I asked the young kid with nose ring and multiple earings working in the outdoor department if he had any other cans stored up top and he said no. I showed him the newfangled spouts on the cans they had and he looks at me and says, "Yeah dude that is to keep you from spilling the gas and ruining the environment".

So off I go across the street to Lowes and all they had was another version of supposedly spill proof cans that had yet another mechanism that requires 2 hands to operate. So I asked the manager about the cans and he proceeds to tell me that the EPA has mandated all new cans be spillproof. I asked him if this was the same EPA that mandated MTBE in oxygenated fuel for 10 years until they finally admitted it can cause numerous forms of cancer after it was found to be contaminating many wells. We both had a good laugh on that one.

So if any of my OSO brothers and sisters know of a place to buy any of the older style cans before they disappear please let me know.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:09 PM
Registered

Yeah I have a little can with one of those "safety spouts". First time I tried it, I got gas on me instead of in the weed whacker. I agree- they are a PIA !!!!!!
Old 04-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea we little guys have to save the environment while company's dump crap out 24 hours a day .
Old 04-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HMMMMM.................. mabey e-bay?
Hell I might even wheel and deal one one of my OLD spouts

Rag's
Old 04-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Registered

The other day, I was driving through the Harbor Beach area in Fort Lauderdale and saw someone cleaning out their house..........and spotted SEVERAL red gas cans of the 6 gallon size with double handles............so I pulled up, the owner was coming out with more trash, I asked him if I could have a couple of these cans, he said "Oh sure, help yourself , they are brand new"! So I got me 6 brand new 6 gallon fuel cans.
I feel very lucky for this find, this is the ONLY good thing that has happened to me in many, many years!
Old 04-04-2004, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally posted by CAP071
Yea we little guys have to save the environment while company's dump crap out 24 hours a day .

yup
Old 04-04-2004, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check JC Whitney or Military Surplus stores for the 5 gal. metal tanks. I came across some brand new Swedish tanks that are ceramic lined with a positive locking seal for 12 bucks each. Real nice can except no spout. Just have to keep a funnel around. I really don't like the plastic cans with the flip vents. Seems if you transport them they always spring a leak. The military style cans seal up and will not leak.
http://amazinglink.com/main/autos-shop-blitz-u-s-a.htm
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/sportsma...wmi5gasca.html
http://www.davidsonproducts.com/gastransit.htm
Old 04-04-2004, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think I figured out what is going on around here after finding the following link:

http://robertstool.com:8091/index.pl/chl

Looks like MD PA NY DE and CA are the states requiring these spill proof cans.

Last year it was a new valve on propane tanks. If you had an older tank with the older style valve no one would refill it for you. Did not realize that until I asked the guy at the landfill why they were stockpiling propane tanks.

Ahh the life of living in a "Nanny State"

I think it is time to start a 52 week Gun, Bow and Black Powder season on tree huggers and sea cow lovers.