Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone ever spray Interlux InterthanePlus? >

Anyone ever spray Interlux InterthanePlus?

Notices

Anyone ever spray Interlux InterthanePlus?

Old 04-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone ever spray Interlux InterthanePlus?

I am painting my cockpit and started painting some smaller parts. I am having trouble getting it to lay flat. I get deep fish eyes and uneven spray, meaning raised dots. I then tried to use the primer first but it too is coming out rough. Should I thin it more? My brother -in- law has a body shop, and when he got me paint for my trailer he said thin it to the consistancy of water. The Interthane instructions say no more than 40%. I am using a touch-up gun @ 40 psi. I also have a gravity feed gun I will be using for the larger areas.

Any tips for a good finish? Even though my test areas are rough, the glossy finish is awsome. I don't mind sanding between coats, but I have to have a smooth finish coat. I have got everything torn apart, filled and sanded. I've got a newborn baby, tons of bills and really want to do this job myself. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

your fisheye problem is caused by the surface not being clean. you need to make sure that you wipe the area you are spraying with a cleaner like ppg 330 or interlux 202 before you start painting.don't use a solvent based rag to clean with either. your paint gun has 2 controls , 1 for fluid , 1 for the pattern. if you are inexperienced in painting get a piece of cardboard or something and try to get a "feel" for the gun. you want to open the fan control about 3/4 of the way to get a nice pattern and the fluid about 50% and work from there. don't try to cover all at once. give a light tack coat and then follow with 2 medium wet coats. make sure you use the right amount of reducer(meausure properly) and the right temp reducer. do not over reduce , it will only run. good luck.....
Old 04-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Registered

Open72, Thanks.

I did some testing on cardboard, fluid/pattern, but not sure I have it reduced properly. I cleaned the surface before and after sanding. I thought contamination might be the problem so I sanded off all the paint and decided to try the primer first. Maybe the paint will adhere better to the primer? I know the thin coats are better than heavy, but I will continue with the small parts till I get it right.

Thanks again
Old 04-03-2004, 09:11 PM
Registered

use a measuring stick or cup. it is very important to have the mix ratio correct. also temp is a big factor. use the correct reducer for the temp you are working with. primer is not going to make the paint stick any better, primer is for filling repairs, etc.also , when spraying use a head sock and eye protection. safety is always first. paint can enter your blood stream through your eyes. i am already going to assume you are using a resporator. if you get a few small fish eyes after you are done just take a toothpick the next day and fill. the paint will bond.

eric
Old 04-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Registered

eric,

thanks for the help. I know the stuff is nasty so resp., goggles, fully clothed, and open air.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

fish eyes are chemical contaminants coming up through the paint from the surface.

Not so important to chemical wipe before sanding, but imperative to dry wipe, then solvent wipe with a compatible solvent right before spraying paint. I personally like to spray primer before paint, but it is not a must.

Interlux has good charts on reducing, as far as ratios and temperature adjustments. Be SURE you look at the right reducing chart for the TYPE OF GUN you are shooting with, AND make sure your nozzle size matches their recommendation. My guess is your nozzle is way smaller than they recommend, in which case you should over-reduce. Gotta spray it wet or of will be rough.

Honestly, I prefer automotive urethanes if I'm spraying. Interthane does a remarkable job of leveling when rolled on, but that is its main advantage as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:57 AM
Registered

also see info above