Notices

Boot, Your My Boy

Old 04-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Boot.... what changes in engine managment does the reprogramming do to add so much HP?... I was looking at the new Dodge with the turbo cummins... I understand that they can be improved greatly with a "chip" change... any ideas?.....
Old 04-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boot, Can you do anything with a 04 Chevy 6.0 liter?

Brian
Old 04-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Registered

Hey Can Man, the system feeds more fuel to the engine, this is how almost all chips, programmers and tuners work. Thats why and intake and exhaust make these so much better, more air in..more fuel in... more exhaust out = more HP and torque. Boot can help with any engine produced so PM him or call, he will work with you until it is right or he will return your money. I know for a fact that any other dealer would not have been as patient with me as Joe was and really care about my satisfaction. Thanks again Joe, drove it all day and still no problems. The accelerator is smooth and does not have the dead spot and sudden blast as the old one did.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mitch , let me say it was a pleasure working with you !
It was in no way any trouble to get you the right product to do the job. No one should expect anything less ...

Yes, you can run it on the higher setting . Realistically , it is going to give you between 50 and 60 hp on high . I don't know why they bother to make it adjustable ....
What it really does is adjusts how quick it responds off idle . It's called "fueling" .That means ,does it DUMP fuel right off the bat if you ask it to or does it do it gently . On the highest setting you may notice a little more smoke then on the lesser settings . Every truck is different . Try it !

Hi REED , If it's the BRAND NEW motor , nothing is out yet . Bully dog is just getting one out but I have had terrible luck with their stuff .........
Edge will have something soon . If it is not the latest motor , then you can get the Edge EZ box that adds about 65 hp. Nothing else out there that works . Every truck and every chip company makes power in different ways . By adding fuel , changing the fuel pulse width, adding fuel pressure , timing, boost , etc. are some of the ways . The better companies use a combination of all of them . The other companies basically just dump in more fuel causing lots of smoke, high exhaust temps, and poor fuel mileage . BUT THEY MIGHT GAIN SOME POWER ....... You need to take advantage of all the trucks sensors and let the truck make the right changes .

I had a good one today ! One of my customers is always getting their "FACTS" from these so called diesel pros on the diesel web sites . They wanted me to install an exhaust brake on a brand new duramax . Well before I could get back to them with info , they were told by some pro tech answer guy that he has put them on her exact truck ,with the NEW engine, and felt it was not needed ..... So she calls me to tell me to forget it ......
So I ask her how he put one on, because you can't !!because you can't !! No one makes one because you can't install one on the new LLY motor . The 8th digit in the VIN # tells you. if it's a 1 , you can , if it's a 2 you can't !! And he's the pro that writes the tech column for some magazine and every asks about this stuff !!!

tssteph , I assume you mean the gas engine ,right ?
I don't have any real personal experience with that exact engine but I can tell you that we sell more Diablo predator tuners then super chips tuners for them by request ! I hate tuners for diesels but they work pretty good on a gasser ! Exhaust and air filter or even an air box helps alot ..

Mitch ,thanks for the kind words ! I especially like helping out boat people ! they seam to be a much better class of people in that they are nice to you and respect you . Out side the boating realm , these people are know it all , pains in the AZZES ! Well, some of them aren't !!

I'll check back later , Got to go make one of them there Dodges run better now !! Joe
Old 04-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Registered

OK Boot -

What are the top five best chips for the 7.3L PSD? Based on performance, warranty, tech support and price. Feel free to add other criteria.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Registered

I like the way it fuels right now, thats what the other chip did, dump a ton of fuel right off idle but it was too much, the truck lurched and was dangerous in tight areas. I may just try it since it is so easy to get to. I have to tow the snowmobile trailer 370 miles and I know of a few hills that can cause a downshift, lets see if this eliminates that. On another note, see how level the trailer and truck are. If the trailer is not level just like in the picture you are stressing one of the axles. There is nothing that is worse than a sagging truck and a jacked trailer, well maybe a step-side truck with a cap.
Attached Thumbnails Boot, Your My Boy-oso-truck-sno-trlr.jpg  

Last edited by MitchStellin; 04-08-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

eyezlee, TOP 5 ?!? I'll be up the rest of the night trying to figure the top 3 !! Maybe 2 .....

My criteria is what works ALL THE time and works great !! That's IT ! Shouldn't have to know how they stand behind it because you shouldn't have problems .

Every truck , and every engine has something different that works best . How ever those choices are few .

For the 7.3 Ford , there is nothing better then the Western diesel chip in every way . ( Except on the Limited Excursion )
It gives the best power AND runs most efficient . I have had trucks with over 90 REAL hp pulling 12,000 lbs with no high exhaust temps ! AND, still gained fuel mileage !

The ONLY other chip I have not had problems with is the ATS chip . But, they are a little light on power and I have had some run alittle higher temps then they should . All the others I have had problems with and VERY ,VERY hard to deal with the company even as a dealer !!

The earlier Edge products I was not thrilled about but their plug in modules have come a long way in the last year . And they are working hard to make them even better . Edge is the top company for plug ins for Dodge ,chevy and ford . They are still very weak on the low end but they pull pretty good once you wind it up .

BD, Banks, Bully dog,TST, super chips, diablo, etc. I have had my share of trouble with ....

If your gonna chip a 7.3, get the Western diesel chip!

Any other plug in truck , get the Edge box .

For you older Dodge owners (non electronic ) Get your self a "fuel plate " !!! You would not believe the bang for the buck in that !!! And those pre 98 Dodges are terribly sick ,stock !

BUT , Make sure you get the right one . You have to have one that is code specific to the CPL # on your motor . DO NOT just buy one that is not !!! They all tell you any one will work . IT WILL NOT WORK RIGHT ! It will smoke , burn more fuel , be hard to start, and will idle bad. I did one the other day . Stock ,It would not spin the tires in first gear .( manual trans ) After an 80 hp plate , a 4" exhaust and AFE air box, It burned them in 3rd gear going up a real steep hill around a curve . The owner could not believe it !! The truck used to top this hill at 28 mph . Now it does 61 ! And all this is within cummins specs . It's not hot rodded , has NO smoke , and no bad exhaust temps . By the way ,it has 250,000 miles on it !! It was smoking bad when he brought it in stock and he wondered if he should dare mess with it . He thought about it for a year and then went for it . Now there is no smoke and it runs great !

The best thing for everyone to do is chop your muffler off !! The truck will be louder , and you'll think it's faster ,and you will have saved a lot of money !!

That about all some of these companies are doing for you anyway .......

Mitch, That rig looks good ! Never seen a low rider trailer before ! Your tuckin them wheels pretty good !

What IS that white stuff ???????

Last edited by boot; 04-09-2004 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Registered

Thanks Boot. I will check into the western diesel chip. I really appreciate you taking the time to post such a lengthy and honest real world assessment of what's out there.

Paul
Old 04-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Registered

yea boot, that is a diamond plate skirt, I never looked at it like that There is no fender inside and has 12" wheels so it is rather high, this hides it though.