Calling all Louisiana OSO guys

Notices

Calling all Louisiana OSO guys

Old 04-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Calling all Louisiana OSO guys

Thinking of planning a family trip to Louisiana and need your help and suggestions before I decide this is where we will go. This will involve my family and for those that do not know, I have three boys (13, 11 & 9).

None of us have ever been to the area. We will fly and probably spend 4 days.

If I go to to La, we will spend at least one day Six Flags and the other days I am looking for suggestions on what to do, see, where to eat etc...Is New Orleans a good place to stay as a hub and do things from there? or is there a better spot to use as the hub of the vacation?

I know there are quite a few of you that are from the area and hope you can steer me in the right direction and save me the time investigating the books I have

My ideas were:

Swamp tour in the Bayou... where to go? ideas?

Good ole' Cajun food places that are off the beat'n path, crawfish etc...unless there are some good eat'ns down Bourbon street

See the Gulf of Mexico...maybe do a fishing excursion

What about seeing the Mississippi as it spills into the gulf?

looking for any suggestions you Cajuns might have

Thanks all

Jeff
Old 04-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

call me 985 727 7503 way to much to type. after 8 central. eric
Old 04-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lived in LA for awhile. Dont do touristy stuff. Go off the beaten path and you will find that they are the best people in the country.

MD
Old 04-07-2004, 02:36 PM
JnT
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to fish,definitely make the trip down to Venice. You will see the Mississippi as it spills to the gulf. http://www.rodnreel.com/reelpeace/ Reel Peace Charters is great. Its pretty desolate as far as entertainment for familys but make a trip and sample the best fishing in the United States. Plantations,Plantations,Plantations.Plenty around New Orleans take a guided tour.Swamp Tours are very cool. Crawfish and good food are everywhere.

Last edited by JnT; 04-07-2004 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:43 PM
JnT
Registered

What dates are you looking at for your Louisiana trip? Flying or driving down?
Old 04-07-2004, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't forget about the audubon zoo, an awesome zoo and the aquarium by the river walk, someone needs to tell him about the French Quarter with kids, not at night!! but you must stop at cafe du' monte for some beignets. here is a web site you can go to see some attractions.
http://neworleans.com/
Jeff, give me a call, if you want to get together for a drink or food with the family some night, we also have three kids, 16-girl, 10-girl, and 9-boy. You also might want to take a closer look at our 4300 Nortech, I know you were looking at one at the time from our last conversation. Thanks, Take care, Jeff Jassby
228-255-3400 Office
228-216-0900 Cell
Old 04-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Registered

I would ride the green line street car all way down St. Charles until it ends at Carrolton. From there you could either ride it back take a cab back. Its a good way to get a feel for the city and see some of the old antebellum homes. It starts near the Aquarium of the Americas that Jassman was talking about and goes right by Audobon Park.

J&T was right about the fishing off Venice, but its a pretty good haul down there from the city. I would guess - and someone please correct me if I'm wrong - that its a good 3+ hour trip. It might be easier to day trip to the Mississippi Coast. You can get all way to Alabama from New Orleans in just under 2 hours on the interstate. If you want to charter a boat in Biloxi, MS let me know I can get you a couple of names. If you decide to head to Biloxi you could also catch the Ship Island ferry and head to the beach for the day. Ship Island is part of the National Sea Shore and is a nice island with no development on it. Its pretty much where everyone with access to a boat goes to hang out on a pretty weekend.

Good Luck

Jassman thats an awesome boat!! We you have it at any of the upcoming races?
Old 04-08-2004, 05:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Restabr, thanks, Ron Polli will be down from Extreme Boating Mag, and I will be giving him a ride to the Biloxi races on Sat or Sunday, its about 20-25 min from my house by water. A few other OSO'ers will be there as well, like Rob - Strip poker and a few from Louisianna, Dave a 36 Nortech Cat and the Total Marine guys as well.

Last edited by JASSMAN; 04-08-2004 at 05:19 AM.